• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued for MILLIONS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

juky

What is the name of your state? NY

My son (10 yrs old) and his friend (12yrs old) were in my son's room and teasing the dog (cocker spaniel). I put the dog into a backyard and closed the door and told children to stay in the room and not to tease the dog. A few hours later they let the dog inside through the window and the dog bit my son's friend on a side of his nose. I took him to the Emergency Room, where they put two stitches. Three years later I am being sued for $11M. I have a home insurance and their lawyer suggests to find a lawyer for myself.
How do I do it right and what are my chances?

HomeGuru

juky said:
What is the name of your state? NY

My son (10 yrs old) and his friend (12yrs old) were in my son's room and teasing the dog (cocker spaniel). I put the dog into a backyard and closed the door and told children to stay in the room and not to tease the dog. A few hours later they let the dog inside through the window and the dog bit my son's friend on a side of his nose. I took him to the Emergency Room, where they put two stitches. Three years later I am being sued for $11M. I have a home insurance and their lawyer suggests to find a lawyer for myself.
How do I do it right and what are my chances?
**A: their lawyer is correct. Also contact your insurance company and give them a copy of the lawsuit.

Last edited:
J

juky

Thank you very much for quick reply.
By "their lawyer" I meant my insurance Company lawyer.
This case is being handled by insurance from the begining and claim never exceeded the insurance policy maximum, but they could not reach the settlement. THe question remains: If I am liable for anything beyond insurance coverage. Also, will "first bite rule" help for me in this case?

HomeGuru

juky said:
Thank you very much for quick reply.
By "their lawyer" I meant my insurance Company lawyer.

**A: yes, I know. Their lawyer is not your lawyer.
This case is being handled by insurance from the begining and claim never exceeded the insurance policy maximum, but they could not reach the settlement. THe question remains: If I am liable for anything beyond insurance coverage. Also, will "first bite rule" help for me in this case?
**A: ask your attorney since we are not privy to all the details and the pertinent state laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">