• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help With An Out-of-state Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Foxer

Got a ticket near Kennett Square, Penna, doing 90 in a 55 (I was passing some contentious jerk). I live in Maryland but Penna code says any ticket greater than 31 over the limit requires special action(15 suspension AND/OR court appointed driver exam). Anyone have experience with this? If I just pay the thing from out-of-state will they still demand a court hearing? I'm thinking about just seeing the judge and saying nolo contendre but I was passing this turkey so give me a break. In other words, reduce the charge to something tolerable. After all, they get $200 so why make an issue out of it? Don't want to triffle with this as I'm in Penna all the time and I don't need any surprises.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Foxer said:
Got a ticket near Kennett Square, Penna, doing 90 in a 55 (I was passing some contentious jerk). I live in Maryland but Penna code says any ticket greater than 31 over the limit requires special action(15 suspension AND/OR court appointed driver exam). Anyone have experience with this? If I just pay the thing from out-of-state will they still demand a court hearing? I'm thinking about just seeing the judge and saying nolo contendre but I was passing this turkey so give me a break. In other words, reduce the charge to something tolerable. After all, they get $200 so why make an issue out of it? Don't want to triffle with this as I'm in Penna all the time and I don't need any surprises.
**A: you are guilty. And your reason for speeding is lame.

F

Foxer

HomeGuru:

>>**A: you are guilty. And your reason for speeding is lame.<<

(1) Where did I say I'm not guilty?

(2) Why is it lame to jump away from a driver who just pulled into the right lane and then starts speeding as you try to pass? Is it fashionable to play "I dare you to pass me" on the highways these days?

(3) You didn't answer any questions although you did make yourself known, hence, I don't see you as value added.

JETX

"Anyone have experience with this?"
*** If you are asking if anyone has experience doing 90 mph in a 55 zone while "passing some contentious jerk", I think you will have a L-O-N-G wait as your request is too specific.

However, if you are asking if an experienced party would believe that a court would grant you any leeway since you were "passing this turkey so give me a break" and to "reduce the charge to something tolerable", the answer is.... probably not.

F

Foxer

JETX,

>>"Anyone have experience with this?"
*** If you are asking if anyone has experience doing 90 mph in a 55 zone while "passing some contentious jerk", I think you will have a L-O-N-G wait as your request is too specific.<<

At the time my intention was to pass someone who wanted to play "race me." I wasn't interested in his priorities, I blew him off by jumping away. Now, on the other hand I could have stood on the brakes in the left lane and forced my way into traffic in the right lane. Two choices - pick one!

>>However, if you are asking if an experienced party would believe that a court would grant you any leeway since you were "passing this turkey so give me a break" and to "reduce the charge to something tolerable", the answer is.... probably not.<<

Although an illuminating response, what does it really mean? If I show up in court as a clean cut guy and do some pro-active effort to deal with this citation what does the court do? The Penna laws are specific: 15 day suspension AND/OR driver exam. But I'm a Maryland license holder and Maryland law doesn't assign specifics to such a matter, just points, but I'm not sure they apply transfer points, only the record if Penna deems to transfer it.

Further, I spend frequent periods in Penna and travel there regularly. The point of this is I need to do some diplomacy to some how avoid any future surprises with this issue. What's the preferred approach?

JETX

The preferred approach is to NOT play race-driver on the highway. You certainly could have decided to avoid the problem by letting him get passed you, pulling over to the side, etc. Kind of an ego buster, but not nearly as expensive as you are going to find out.

As to what you should do and what they might do, my crystal ball is still in the shop (damn thing kept giving me the winning lottery numbers two days in advance!!!) and I won't get it back until Tuesday.... but yeah, they told me that last week!! :D

In any case, go to court. Take lots of money or see if they accept plastic (lots of courts do now). Then, take the punishment like a man.... and learn from it.

Oh, and if you think that you will be immune somehow by your out of state license, both Maryland and Pennsylvania are members of the NRVC (Non-Resident Violators Compact).

F

Foxer

JETX,

>>The preferred approach is to NOT play race-driver on the highway. You certainly could have decided to avoid the problem by letting him get passed you, pulling over to the side, etc. Kind of an ego buster, but not nearly as expensive as you are going to find out.<<

It's a judgement call. That was my call, you might have done differently. Either call has its merits and disadvantages.

>>As to what you should do and what they might do, my crystal ball is still in the shop (damn thing kept giving me the winning lottery numbers two days in advance!!!) and I won't get it back until Tuesday.... but yeah, they told me that last week!! <<

Trade it on a new one.

>>In any case, go to court. Take lots of money or see if they accept plastic (lots of courts do now). Then, take the punishment like a man.... and learn from it.<<

$200 up front. More of a nuisance than a punishment. I'm quite sure a contrite affort could be beneficial to the level of the charge. You know, proper demeanor, shined shoes, haircut, and pressed suit.

>>Oh, and if you think that you will be immune somehow by your out of state license, both Maryland and Pennsylvania are members of the NRVC (Non-Resident Violators Compact).<<

Despite the Compact, I have never seen a Penna ticket on my Maryland record but they were there in Penna. According to the web, Maryland does not take points in transfer, only the record. From the compact, however, I believe it is possible for Penna to suspend your Maryland license - a suspension in one place is a suspension everywhere apparently.

HomeGuru

Foxer said:
(2) Why is it lame to jump away from a driver who just pulled into the right lane and then starts speeding as you try to pass? Is it fashionable to play "I dare you to pass me" on the highways these days?

**A: what an idiot. You will find out what the judge thinks of your lame excuse.

Bravo8

The court will not require a court appearance, as they do not order the driver's exam. The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation can order the exam, but you're not a Pennsylvania licensed driver, so no exam for you.

They will however suspend your DL for 15 days.

Many Judges will not reduce the charge if the officer proves his case appropriately. You would likely have better luck by trying to plea bargain with the issuing officer. Perhaps you could offer to plead to 30 mph over and pay the fine, avoiding any license suspension.

If you plead guilty or are found guilty of 31+ over the limit, then Maryland will give full force and effect of the license suspension in PA. In other words, your MD license should become suspended.

I would suggest taking the hearing, trying to plea bargain with the officer, and presenting your defense if the officer refuses to reduce the speed.

F

Foxer

Bravo8,

Thanks for the gouge, it gives me exactly the kind of info I need to make a decision.

For the rest of you I'm surprised. Of all the people on this forum who one would least expect to offer something, a cop, yes, a COP provides the most rational and to-the-point observation of anyone who's responded. I hope you guys aren't attorneys in RL. It would explain how we got to the point of an overly letigious and convoluted court and civil structure. God save us from attorneys.

Bravo8

Foxer said:
Of all the people on this forum who one would least expect to offer something, a cop, yes, a COP provides the most rational and to-the-point observation of anyone who's responded.
See? We're not all Jack-Booted Thugs. :)

Good luck. Oh, and slow down. ;)

Maxthedog

Sounds like your best course is to contact a traffic lawyer and let him/her do the talking. I do believe a plea bargain will be more effective this way. There is too much to lose handling this on your own.

F

Foxer

Maxthedog,

>>Sounds like your best course is to contact a traffic lawyer and let him/her do the talking. I do believe a plea bargain will be more effective this way. There is too much to lose handling this on your own.<<

Already done.

Foxer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">