• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

still go to court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leadesigns

i have filed a small claims court suit in philadelphia, pennsylvania against my ex-boyfriend who owes me $3550.00. i lent him $4000.00 three years ago for his education, and he was making some payments until about a year ago. we had a written aggreement, and i have documentation to accurately prove the loan. the small claims suit is intended to get him to start paying monthly again.

he has been served the court order, with a court date of may 5th. he has written me an email saying he will start paying me monthly as of may 1st. should i still go to court on the 5th, or should i settle for this aggreement?

if not, how do i get a legal document stating that he will pay me $XXX.XX every month?

thanks,
lea

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

leadesigns said:
i have filed a small claims court suit in philadelphia, pennsylvania against my ex-boyfriend who owes me $3550.00. i lent him $4000.00 three years ago for his education, and he was making some payments until about a year ago. we had a written aggreement, and i have documentation to accurately prove the loan. the small claims suit is intended to get him to start paying monthly again.

he has been served the court order, with a court date of may 5th. he has written me an email saying he will start paying me monthly as of may 1st. should i still go to court on the 5th, or should i settle for this aggreement?

if not, how do i get a legal document stating that he will pay me $XXX.XX every month?

thanks,
lea

My response:

You absolutely go to court. You get your judgment. He had his chance, and blew it. Now, when you get your judgment, you'll have some leverage - - compelling him to pay you pursuant to the agreement you have. Then, if he fails to pay you as promised, then you "execute" the judgment - - that's "leverage" baby!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">