• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lynnejen

What is the name of your state? Texas
I have recently gotten married, and I would like for my husband to adopt my child. I was not married previously, and on my child’s birth certificate there is no name for the father. We cannot afford a lawyer's fee. How can we go about the process?

O

oberauerdorf

Is your Name Mary and did you have this child in a stall on the outskirts of Bethlehem?

There IS a father to this child and if you don't attempt to determine who it is, try to go through with the adoption then down the road sometime in the future, the father, if he finds out, can void the adoption for fraud.

Now, what was your question?:rolleyes:

L

lynnejen

His father used at least three diffrent last names in the time I knew him. The father has no knowledge of the child and did not want the child in anyway. I have no idea how I would find him.

O

oberauerdorf

The father has no knowledge of the child and did not want the child in anyway.
Please tell the judge that the father doesn't want to have anything to do with the child.

Then duck.:rolleyes:

nextwife

"Is your Name Mary and did you have this child in a stall on the outskirts of Bethlehem!

Too Funny, Obi-Wan!

Poster, if you do this properly, through legal channels and utilizing proper publication options, you can likely get this done. That means using an attorney. Unfortunately, I'd bet you will need to provide ALL the names he uses and publish under all if he can't be located.

FYI- This is totally irrelevant because it is NOT US Law, but my daughter's biodad was (and still is) unknown and only her biomom had to sign the legal relinquishment papers for the orphanage. But it can't be done that way in the US as that would be contrary to US law. Another reason some of us go elsewhere to adopt.

Last edited:

tigger22472

It's been said a million times but always worth saying again. A situation like this pretty much DEMANDS a lawyer. This is not something you want to skimp on. I'm in the process of a TPR and step-parent adoption now and the total is 850$.. worth every penny.

nextwife

WE paid that for just the "post placement" home study! Don't even ask what the other fees were.

But you are right. There is nothing more worth spending money on than legally securing my daughter's future with us and leaving no loopholes.

tigger22472

I think it would also be worth noting to the OP that simply changing the child's last name DOES NOT give her husband rights. This also doesn't mean that when you die your husband automatically gets to keep your child. All of this can be taken care of simply.. however you have to be willing to pay for it. To me it's worth the piece of mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">