• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue my condo board?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bambesi

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hello: I own a bottom floor condo and have an upstairs neighbor whose girlfriend and 5-year old stay with him 3-4 days a week. (These are small one-bedroom condos.) The kid runs and jumps and rattles my fixtures constantly. (Our bylaws state that no unit owner may be a nuisance to other unit owners - this is beyond just a nuisance.) I have gone to the Condo Board and their attorney has even contacted the neighbor but still the problem persists. The attorney for the Board has not come through on his promises to fine this neighbor and the attny doesn't get back to me or feel like this is a problem worth his time. I would think that my monthly condo fees would buy me at least a return call from him and/or the Board. So I want to stop paying my condo fees until they take action against this neighbor so that we may finally live in peace. Do I need to put these fees in a escrow account of some sort? If so, how does one do this? How is an escrow account opened and what sort of procedures would I follow to take care of this? (I have contacted several attorneys in my area and am ready and willing to pay their hourly fees but everyone says this type of case is not something they would deal with! I can't find any help!) Help! Thank you!

mykoleary

Listen, and listen carefully. If you do not want people walking above you, don't buy a unit not on the top floor of a shared housing complex.

HELLO???

As a Board memeber at my condo, as long as this noise is NOT during quiet hours, it's between you and the other owner to settle this. Condo Boards aren't paid mediators.

BTW, as soon as you stop paying your fees (for whatever reason) they can fine YOU, lien YOUR unit, and foreclose YOUR unit. And, it'd be a lot easier because they'd be rid of the REAL trouble Owner.

If you want peace and quiet move to a HOUSE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">