• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

student loan consolidation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sjj115

What is the name of your state? KY

My fiance and his ex-wife "consolidated" their student loans. The reason I have it in parentheses is because the consolidation process was initiated by her and 2 days after confirmation that the loan had been consolidated she filed for divorce. In the terms of the settlement agreement, they were to each pay 50%of the loan payment (Loan balances prior to consolidation-his $3200, hers 26,000!). To make matters worse, she is now claiming that she can not pay her portion of the student loan.
Question 1: Is there anything we can do to separate these loans? My fiance had no idea that she had any plans to file for divorce during the consolidation process and only agreed to repay the loan so that he could get joint custody of his son. (He did not seek an attorney because he felt if he fought her demands she would make things even more difficult for his son) We are willing to pay our half of the obligation, but if she is not paying her half he could still be penalized.
Question 2: Is there any way to show that he entered this obligation under false pretenses and possibly void the entire consolidation?? We realize that we may be stuck with 50% of the entire loan, but isn't there some way that it can be separated so that her actions don't affect his credit?? We have spoken to the student loan people who say there is nothing we can do, but I find that hard to believe that we have absolutely NO options in this matter.

Thanks

** I posted this under Family Law general - wasn't sure where it would fit it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">