• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Accountability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jh41

My 16 year old son is being influenced by his father. Recently I had taken the issue of increasing the child support to court. The court order an increased amount (the original order was 1985 and had not been reviewed since).
My son's father is very upset about the increased amount of child support he has to pay.
My son is telling me that I have to spend every cent on him or give it to him.
I don't feel that child support should be just handed over to him. I have let him know that it is not his allowance.
My thoughts are that the child support is to be used in part to help support the child live in the style that he was accustomed to when the his father and I were together.
I informed him that I use the child support to cloth him, buy school supplies, pay for his entertainment, as well as provide a home for him to live in, food on the table, and basic utilities.
Also to be noted that I have always worked, supported my children on my own with the aid of the child support, except for the two years that his father did not work and could not pay his child support. ( He has paid up his arreages for that time.)
Please advise what the child support guidelines advise are the use of the monies received.
Thank you,

D

Danya

Originally posted by jh41:

I've been searching for info on both child support and custody and found the following site had info on child support and what it should be used for. Check it out, it may help. The following address will send you to the middle of the info, but you can browse through prior pages, too.
My boys are 15 and 16 and they know the support goes for their needs. If we were rich, then it would go towards their college fund first, then to them. My older son works over the summer and gets to keep that, even though I have to take him 30 miles back and forth to work each day. But the child support is mine to use for our necessities, not to just hand over to them. I am the parent to which the support is paid and, since I must provide for them, I make the decisions as to where that support goes to.
Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by Danya (edited August 13, 2000).]

D

Danya

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jh41:
My 16 year old son is being influenced by his father. Recently I had taken the issue of increasing the child support to court. The court order an increased amount (the original order was 1985 and had not been reviewed since).
My son's father is very upset about the increased amount of child support he has to pay.
My son is telling me that I have to spend every cent on him or give it to him.
I don't feel that child support should be just handed over to him. I have let him know that it is not his allowance.
My thoughts are that the child support is to be used in part to help support the child live in the style that he was accustomed to when the his father and I were together.
I informed him that I use the child support to cloth him, buy school supplies, pay for his entertainment, as well as provide a home for him to live in, food on the table, and basic utilities.
Also to be noted that I have always worked, supported my children on my own with the aid of the child support, except for the two years that his father did not work and could not pay his child support. ( He has paid up his arreages for that time.)
Please advise what the child support guidelines advise are the use of the monies received.
Thank you,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been searching for info on both child support and custody and found the following site had info on child support and what it should be used for. Check it out, it may help. The following address will send you to the middle of the info, but you can browse through prior pages, too.
My boys are 15 and 16 and they know the support goes for their needs. If we were rich, then it would go towards their college fund first, then to them. My older son works over the summer and gets to keep that, even though I have to take him 30 miles back and forth to work each day. But the child support is mine to use for our necessities, not to just hand over to them. I am the parent to which the support is paid and, since I must provide for them, I make the decisions as to where that support goes to.
Hope this helps!
The site is: https://www.freeadvice.com/law/5476us.htm

LegalBeagle

You son, and therefore his father is wrong. Child Support can be used for virtually anything you want it to. It is rare that a court would ask you to justify the amount and each and every dollar.

It seems the problem is more to do with your son and his relationship with his father who obviously has issues with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">