• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

clothing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jenben2003

What is the name of your state? michigan

i want to put my own designs and use them on baby shirts and sell them in stores/e-bay. question is, if i use a brand of shirts like carters or whatever, am i able to sell them without getting in any legal trouble?

J

Jenben2003

oberauerdorf said:
What did carter's say when you called them?
they said that they don't sell by bulk and only to retailers. i explained what i wanted to do and they repeated the same thing and added that they sell to retailers only because of any liability of any clothing that is altered. make sense?

O

oberauerdorf

Sure it does. It's called brand dilution and would hurt the retailer's business who have signed on with the manufacturer.

So, what is your next step?

J

Jenben2003

oberauerdorf said:
Sure it does. It's called brand dilution and would hurt the retailer's business who have signed on with the manufacturer.

So, what is your next step?
i guess that i am going to have to buy material and make my own shirts!!! i need to start my business soon simply because i don't want to work the 8-5 hours anymore! i did a little research and there is a web site that makes baby clothing and uses hanes "creepers." i don't think that she can do this. she does say who makes the original shirts. here is the site:

http://www.amembroidery.com/creepers.htm

O

oberauerdorf

i did a little research and there is a web site that makes baby clothing and uses hanes "creepers." i don't think that she can do this. she does say who makes the original shirts. here is the site:
This has nothing whatsoever with your situation so forget it.

i guess that i am going to have to buy material and make my own shirts!!! i need to start my business soon simply because i don't want to work the 8-5 hours anymore!
If that is the case then stop thinking like an 8-5 worker and start thinking like a businesswoman.

Now, you tell me what the biggest problem the woman you cited is having right at this moment? Then come back and tell me how you're going to avoid that problem.

J

Jenben2003

oberauerdorf said:
This has nothing whatsoever with your situation so forget it.

If that is the case then stop thinking like an 8-5 worker and start thinking like a businesswoman.

Now, you tell me what the biggest problem the woman you cited is having right at this moment? Then come back and tell me how you're going to avoid that problem.
Thanks for the fire that I needed! The biggest problem that this lady is having right now is her web site.

O

oberauerdorf

Wrong answer.

Now think about this.

i did a little research and there is a web site that makes baby clothing and uses hanes "creepers."
i guess that i am going to have to buy material and make my own shirts!!!
Both statements, if you want to quit the 8 -5 gig, are wrong.

Now, if both of the above statements are wrong, tell me why and what is your solution?

Remember, you want to get started using your designs on these shirts and sell enough to make a profit so you can quit the 8 - 5 job.

Now, how much time would it take to make your own shirts AND do the designs?

It's time to start thinking like a business woman, NOT an employee.

J

Jenben2003

oberauerdorf said:
Wrong answer.

Now think about this.

Both statements, if you want to quit the 8 -5 gig, are wrong.

Now, if both of the above statements are wrong, tell me why and what is your solution?

Remember, you want to get started using your designs on these shirts and sell enough to make a profit so you can quit the 8 - 5 job.

Now, how much time would it take to make your own shirts AND do the designs?

It's time to start thinking like a business woman, NOT an employee.
I received an e-mail from the copywrite office telling me this:
"As far as copyright law is concerned, you are free to use brand name shirts." So, my next step is to get organized, find out how many can I make in an hour, and calculate costs, etc.

O

oberauerdorf

As far as copyright law is concerned, you are free to use brand name shirts." So, my next step is to get organized, find out how many can I make in an hour, and calculate costs, etc
And what I am trying to get you to think about has nothing whatsoever to do with copyright.

You expect to buy name-brand shirts, spend an hour or so putting your design on them, then selling them for a profit right?

And how much profit do you expect to make and how many shirts will you have to sell to be able to leave the 8-5?

Now you tell me, what is your OTHER alternative that has absolutely NOTHING to do with copyright and will get you a larger profit margin?

J

Jenben2003

oberauerdorf said:
And what I am trying to get you to think about has nothing whatsoever to do with copyright.

You expect to buy name-brand shirts, spend an hour or so putting your design on them, then selling them for a profit right?

And how much profit do you expect to make and how many shirts will you have to sell to be able to leave the 8-5?

Now you tell me, what is your OTHER alternative that has absolutely NOTHING to do with copyright and will get you a larger profit margin?
My other alternative is to make my own shirts...it would take more time (not too sure how much time it will take) to make them, but the profit may be better. It may be more appealing to customers instead of me slapping on a design on to a brand name item.

divgradcurl

oberauerdorf has walked you through the business aspects of your questions. Your original question was

"i want to put my own designs and use them on baby shirts and sell them in stores/e-bay. question is, if i use a brand of shirts like carters or whatever, am i able to sell them without getting in any legal trouble?"

The answer is no. There are no copyright issues her, and since you are buying the shirts from an authorized dealer, no trademark issues either -- you'll be protected by the "first sale" doctrine.

J

Jenben2003

divgradcurl said:
oberauerdorf has walked you through the business aspects of your questions. Your original question was

"i want to put my own designs and use them on baby shirts and sell them in stores/e-bay. question is, if i use a brand of shirts like carters or whatever, am i able to sell them without getting in any legal trouble?"

The answer is no. There are no copyright issues her, and since you are buying the shirts from an authorized dealer, no trademark issues either -- you'll be protected by the "first sale" doctrine.
Thank you!

O

oberauerdorf

O.K. Jen, this is my FINAL attempt to get you to start thinking like a business owner.

You say you can 'make my own shirts" and realize a higher profit margin. O.K. I agree.

BUT, there is another alternative that will give you just as much profit (if not better) and allow you MUCH MORE time to create and imprint (or sew) your designs onto the shirts so that you have more time to design and create and realize a larger return on your time and investment.

Now, if it's not the two options that we've been discussing, what COULD it be????

THINK!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">