• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I continue or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

I filed a small claims case against someone for petty theft from my home. I had asked the person to return my property and they refused. I told them that I would file a claim at the end of the week if they did not return it.
The end of the week came, and I filed.
Two weeks later the property was returned. Now I am only out the filing fee and cost of serving documents. Can I continue this claim and receive these expenses even though the property has now been returned?

In a related question... this person had taken out a temporary restraining order against me and then did not show for the hearing. Although a separate situation it is related to the same incident... if I go to small claims can I ask for compensation for my lost wages the day that I went to court and he did not show, or would I have to file a separate claim? At that hearing I was told I was only allowed to recover court costs, of which I had none since I was the responding. I thought maybe that would be something I could seek in small claims.

Thanks!

O

oberauerdorf

So, what you're saying is that your previous post was a lie?

No... you must be regarding to the post regarding slander.

Yes, it involves the same people I refereneced there, but this one is in regard to me only. The guy I mentioned regarding slander was my roommate at the time. Didn't really feel it was neccessary to include my problem in the other post.

O

oberauerdorf

So, your 'friend's' ex girlfriend took out two restraining orders, one against you and the other against your 'friend' and she stole possessions from the two of you and returned them both?

Sorry, your credibility is very weak right about now.

I'll pass and let someone else deal with this.

I appreciate you passing on this one, since you are obviously a moron.

One restraining order was taken out that named both of us. Property was stolen fro mboth of us, and later returned after filing small claims. That is not very hard to understand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">