• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BMOC

To make a long story short -

Wife and I were married last year in KY and were doing pretty good. Then she finds out she is pregnant. Her parents invite her to visit, she goes, comes back for 3 days, then leaves permenantly. Now she's filed for divorce in her new state (AZ). What are my chances of getting custody when child is born? After all, she did leave me (along with a lease on an apartment and bills, etc). Now she says I should help pay bills for pregnancy -even though she left- what chance does she have of getting her requests granted? I know I'll be a better parents than she could ever be. Please help

LegalBeagle

The chance of you getting custody of a new born are virtually nil unless you can prove that the environment the child will be born into is not going to be great for the child.

Second, she can only file for divorce in AZ if she has been a resident for 90 days. Which means you could file in your current state and then get hers dismissed. The outcome will be the same though in that you will not get custody.

I am not sure about the bills for the pregnancy.. funny enough I have never had to deal with this issue. As regards to the other bills, during the divorce, you can make her liable for 50% and try to get her to pay. You could also cut a deal, you pay none of the pregnancy and she pays none of the bills to your current apt etc.

Personally, unless she is going to allow you to attend the birth or be part of the childs initial life, I do not see why fathers should be liable for the birthing costs (Que abuse from people). The birth of your child is one of the most amazing experiences a person will have in their life, and to be robbed of that, or denied the experience, should have consequences.

B

BMOC

As far as I know, she has been there 90 days...what then? Do I have any other options?

LegalBeagle

If she has been their 90 days, then you need to get an attorney in AZ and contest the divorce, ie, make it favourable to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">