• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can child stay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whitsix

i am an ex-wife who had a divorce in florida in 1991. my ex-husband was given custody by me at that time. ive since moved to california,been here for 7 years. my now 9year old daughter came for visitation 7mo. ago and ex-husband agreed she could stay to see if she did better in school. she is and now he wants her back!!! is california her home state nowthat she been here for 7mo.? nothing has been filed in court since the original divorce in '91. pleasehelp me before it too late

LegalBeagle

So you orginal order stated that you have physical custody and this was never changed ? First, CA will have jurisdiction.. second, you have a good chance to keeping custody. If the child is happy and doing well then inform him of this and that it would be in the best interests of the child to remain with you.

What I am not sure about is if you need to do anything. Since the original order is still in place and in your favour, it will be up to him to contest it. Whatever you do, make sure that any action by him filed in FL is dismissed as not having jurisdiction.

What I would not do, is to allow the child to go back since with your current arrangement, he could file for custody and get to keep the child.

MySonsMom

Legal Beagle..The original court ordered that the Father had physical custody and the child has just been staying with the mother..nothing changed in the original documents..still states that father has custody..That is what I gathered from the post..

------------------
~MySonsMom~

LegalBeagle

hehe missed that one :)

In which case, file for custody in CA. You might need to file an ex-parte motion to grant you temporary custody incase the ex decided to file charges of kidnapping etc..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">