• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I switch attorneys?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IHateUserNames

What is the name of your state? Illinois

In September of last year I was shopping in a well-known retail store. One of the workers was dragging a large cart that is used to stock the shelves behind him. He came up behind me, not paying attention to what he was doing and ran the cart into me. It sliced my Achilles tendon. The employee immediately admitted it was his fault because he was not paying attention.

I found an attorney to take my case, here it is, 7 months later and nothing has happened. I have tried calling my attorney several times, just to see what is going on. His secretary says he is involved in many major suits right now, but he will get back to me.

Am I allowed to request all of my files and find another attorney, or is there a process I must go through in order to switch attorneys?

Maybe it is normal to put a client off for months on end, but he really acted interested when I contacted him. I really need to get this settled. My entire life has been on hold since this happened.

HomeGuru

IHateUserNames said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

In September of last year I was shopping in a well-known retail store. One of the workers was dragging a large cart that is used to stock the shelves behind him. He came up behind me, not paying attention to what he was doing and ran the cart into me. It sliced my Achilles tendon. The employee immediately admitted it was his fault because he was not paying attention.

I found an attorney to take my case, here it is, 7 months later and nothing has happened. I have tried calling my attorney several times, just to see what is going on. His secretary says he is involved in many major suits right now, but he will get back to me.

Am I allowed to request all of my files and find another attorney, or is there a process I must go through in order to switch attorneys?

**A: yes and yes.

Maybe it is normal to put a client off for months on end, but he really acted interested when I contacted him. I really need to get this settled. My entire life has been on hold since this happened.

**A: your entire life? You need to get a life.

I

IHateUserNames

Getting a life would be great, but I have no use of my right foot at all. I have been in a cast from my toes to my thigh between surgeries for months now, and I might never be able to walk normally again. Not to mention the amount of pain this caused. If I could just run on out a "get a life" I would. Unfortunately I can't even walk.

I do appreciate that you answered my question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">