• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony - How much and how long!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Khuu327

What is the name of your state? California. I have been married for about 2 years and my spouse is originally from China, she now is officially a legal residence and have her green card. I got married without signing a Premarital Agreement and i own a couple of properties and this is what i fear. We have no children together and she's been a housewife for two years. If we file for divorce, in the state of California, how much alimony do i have to pay to my spouse? and how long do i have to pay? And does she get half of my assets, properties, pension, paycheck, etc. if we ever get a divorce? Please help i feel a divorce coming and feel like i will get screwed for not having a prenuptual agreement before we got married. I don't want her to get half of my properties, assets, savings, etc.

JETX

"If we file for divorce, in the state of California, how much alimony do i have to pay to my spouse?"
*** Really simple. You pay as much alimony as the court orders.

"and how long do i have to pay?"
*** Just as simple to answer.... for as long as the court orders.

"And does she get half of my assets, properties, pension, paycheck, etc. if we ever get a divorce?"
*** Generally, she has the right to half of any assets acquired during the marriage. If you owned the property prior to marriage, she gets half of the value increase during the marriage.

"I don't want her to get half of my properties, assets, savings, etc."
*** Then get a REALLY good attorney and you might have a chance of her not getting MORE than half.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">