• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Law Suit Settled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bbtaz104

What is the name of your state? Arizona
I was served with a law Suit back in August of 2001.Went thru all the court proceedings. And we ended up settling in June of 2003. The amount the Planintiff said I owed him was 190,000.00. But then I gave him all the information that it was my sister you owes him the money. So he turned around and sued her for the 190,000.00.He has put a Judgment on my credit and the Plantiff and my sister settle in Feburary of this year 2004 She did not pay him the full amount of $190,000.00. Her lawyer told him that they would pay $125,000.00 and she ended up only paying $75,000.00.
I have talked to the Plaintiff about this and asked him what he was going to do about the rest of the money that she owed him and he said that he was going to wright it off as a lost.
What I want to know is why does he still have the $190,000.00 on our credit and the courts have done nothing about reducing the amount that he says that I owe him.I have court papers saying. Any amounts collected from my sister by the Plaintiff related to the lawsuit shall be reduce dollar for dollar . I have not heard from his lawyer or my lawyer or even the court.
Can anyone give me advice on what to do. When I talked to the plantiff he said he would get the judgment removed and nothing has happened yet.
I need some advice real bad because this is showing up on our credit and he doesn't have a judgment against my sister. Who is the whole culprit to this.
I know that you can not sue two people for the same amount.
I need some help.I cannot afford to get another lawyer so if someone can give me advice on what to do? And if I can handle this myself?
Thanks So Much For Anyone That Can Help Me.
BBtaz104:confused:

Tayla

You state: " I know that you can not sue two people for the same amount." May I be directed to a law site that validates your statement? Im not sure I fully comprehend ...

B

Bbtaz104

Law suit Settle

Tayla,
I am not understanding what you our saying? Do you need more information on this case?
Bbtaz104:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I guess you've never heard of "Joint and Several Liability". Of course you can sue two, or more, people for the same amount of money, concerning the same transaction.

The plaintiff isn't going to remove anything from your credit report until either you or your sister coughs up the entire amount. The plaintiff couldn't care less who pays him.

IAAL

Tayla

IAAL: thank you for clarifying what I was inquiring of from the poster. Now back to my books on studying this dern Perpetuities (Trust and Estates) that you have assigned! (footnote: even lawyers engaged in this after 20 years still write arguementatively about this particular form of law.... I should have been given an easier subject..ahhh!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">