• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I owe you's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

starrvalhalla

What is the name of your state? I am from California, my fiance is from Oregon and the third party is from Louisiana.

Last year after we all three met on a six week tour of Europe the Louisiana party (LP) financed an engagement ring for me on his credit card to help my fiance. [the ring was purchased and the IOU signed in Amsterdam, if that matters?] My fiance signed the IOU and upon our return made payments in good faith until Oct. 03 when he moved to CA. Our wedding was scheduled for Jan. 04. In Nov.03 LP stated that he was forgiving the balance due as a wedding gift. Due to a falling out we are no longer on good terms with LP. Since LP is no longer invited to the wedding he wants to retract his "gift" {we have this in writing), and is using the IOU as friendship collateral. Our wedding has been rescheduled and we have moved back to Oregon. Do "presents" for this type of occassion fall under small claims actions? If we have witness and written proof of his retraction does he still have a claim?

Hope you can help,

Concerned over the principal

BL

Look you were going to pay the (LP) back IOU , anyways.

He gave you the write off as wedding gift anticipating attendance.

He is now uninvited,so pay the man.

You want to wear your wedding ring "till death do you part", knowing another man paid a Good share of it , the rest of your life, or your wedding ring from your husband only ??

Tell your faïence to be a stand up man and pay for your ring.

S

starrvalhalla

A gift for a wedding is not dependant on attendance. If a friendship is marred then it should be atonement that is sought not vengeance or other antics fueled by anger and immaturity. The irrelevant events, to a claims court, that transpired regarding the dissolvement of the friendship should not cloud the judgment of LP. It not the ring that is the issue it is the sum of the cost and personal sillines getting in the way of the facts. There was a loan, then that loan/debt was written off as a gift and now LP is trying to to re-establish it. (how would you feel if after paying on a credit card you received a bonus gift and were told the balance due was now zero instead of what you had charged and then more than a year later the credit card company decided to suspend your bonus privelege which means that you have now reaccrued the debt?) I would gladly give back the ring but again as I said when I signed the last post it is the principle of the matter. Besides the offer was made and refused for the ring and now it would seem that the LP is discontented with anything other than money and being bothersome. We all should simply be able to walk away but in the event that LP decides to progress I simply wanted advice as to what grounds of the law this situation falls in. Thank you for the post but it doesn't answer the legal questions I was hoping would be addressed.

still hoping for helpful answers,

concerned over the principal

Last edited:

HomeGuru

starrvalhalla said:
A gift for a wedding is not dependant on attendance. If a friendship is marred then it should be atonement that is sought not vengeance or other antics fueled by anger and immaturity. The irrelevant events, to a claims court, that transpired regarding the dissolvement of the friendship should not cloud the judgment of LP. It doesn't matter what the loan was for but rather that there was a loan, then that debt was written off and now LP is trying to to re-establish it. I would gladly give back the ring but again as I said when I signed the last post it is the principle of the matter. Besides the offer was made and refused for the ring and now it would seem that the LP is discontented with anything other than money and being bothersome. We all should simply be able to walk away but in the event that LP decides to progress I simply wanted advice as to what grounds of the law this situation falls in. Thank you for the post but it doesn't answer the legal questions I was hoping would be addressed.

still hoping for helpful answers,

concerned over the principal
**A: ok, here is the principle, you owe the money so PAY UP! or return the ring.

S

starrvalhalla

No, we do not OWE a gift.

The questions I am asking is if wedding gifts fall under small claims court (?) and if the written contract is nullified by the new written admission (?) that there is no debt but rather a gift if LP is invited to the wedding. I simply do not want this to come back to haunt us further. If you receive a monetary gift for a wedding or otherwise and then the giver claims you owe them- would you feel you need to pay them back their gift because of their whim? Does any money you ever have received as a gift then become percentages in ownership of what it was used for or in leins against your net worth? I hope a court would not rule so. However, if it comes to it I am willing to let a judge decide we are wrong but I am simply trying to cover the bases before it should comes to that. Thank you again but your answer is ignoring the issue of the 2 questions above.

~still concerned over the principle

BL

The questions I am asking is if wedding gifts fall under small claims court (?) and if the written contract is nullified by the new written admission (?) that there is no debt but rather a gift if LP is invited to the wedding. ( IF ) [ quote ]

Ok you want to be thick headed go to small claims.

Make sure you tell the truth though.

A) You or your faïence used one of your Credit cards to by your wedding ring.

B) After a year of ownership of the ring you still aren't married.

C) You had a money gift toward the ring (IF) the giver attends the wedding. You now tell the X friend ( giver) he can't come, because you don't like each other .

D) You offered to give the ring to the giver ( Your wedding ring ), but you don't want to pay the man.

You seem to know the Laws with NOs & this & that , go for it .

When is the wedding date ?? Maybe you could wear an old pop top (IF) you return the ring .

Last edited:

JETX

Okay, lets try this a different way.....

Your (nor former) friend has a signed promissory note to show the court.
You, in order to support your claim of a verbal 'foregiveness' have nothing.

Hell, even the lousy Judge Judy would find against you.
Pay the person back for his loan....or your marriage may be in court before you know it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">