• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property possesion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stick4156

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

About a year and a half ago, my ex girlfriend and I purchased a boat. Actually, she paid the bulk of it, while I have been paying her back every month. The boat is titled in both of our names, registered in my name, and I believe the bill of sale is in my name.
We have since split (a little over a year ago) and I have continued to make payments to her for the boat. She now claims that I owe her $2500 (interest + payments still left to make. She also claims she's not counting the payments I made while we were together???) She wanted the payment NOW. She then proceded to go to the property where the boat was being stored, cut the lock, and take the boat. She claims she is going to sell it, and give me back what she thinks she should, minus interest. I have no idea where the boat is, etc...

I do have canceled checks/reciepts for most of the payments made, however some where made in the form of simply handing cash to her. What options do I have? Any? I'd rather not sell the boat, however I can not come up with $2500 that easily. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

O

oberauerdorf

Yes, I do. but first tell us HOW are both names listed on the title?

HomeGuru

stick4156 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

About a year and a half ago, my ex girlfriend and I purchased a boat. Actually, she paid the bulk of it, while I have been paying her back every month. The boat is titled in both of our names, registered in my name, and I believe the bill of sale is in my name.
We have since split (a little over a year ago) and I have continued to make payments to her for the boat. She now claims that I owe her $2500 (interest + payments still left to make. She also claims she's not counting the payments I made while we were together???) She wanted the payment NOW. She then proceded to go to the property where the boat was being stored, cut the lock, and take the boat. She claims she is going to sell it, and give me back what she thinks she should, minus interest. I have no idea where the boat is, etc...

I do have canceled checks/reciepts for most of the payments made, however some where made in the form of simply handing cash to her. What options do I have? Any? I'd rather not sell the boat, however I can not come up with $2500 that easily. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.
**A: if you don't have the money then you need to sell the boat.

S

stick4156

The Title shows my name and address, then lists her name as co owner. It does not show her address, or any other info other than DL # It does not show as Primary, or secondary, or anything like that.

If I have to sell it, so be it. But shouldn't she have to pay for what I've put into the boat? Not just what she feels is fair? If I've paid $4000, and have recipts, she can't say she's only going to give my $2500 correct? And even if her name is on the title, it is registered to me. Can she just take the boat without prior permission?

BL

File small claims. Ask for the amount you paid.

Tell the Judge she has the Boat at an unkn location & how she took it.

Show the Judge your paperwork on it .
Show the Judge your payment receipts to her .

There may be depreciation on the boat though.

O

oberauerdorf

And on the title does it list your names as AND or OR between them? Geeez, this is like pulling teeth.

S

stick4156

No, the title only lists the names as follows;

owner(s)

my DL No.
myself
1234 hucklebuck lane
new jersey

Her DL No.
Her name

That's it. Nothing else. No and, or, anything like that.

O

oberauerdorf

Then you had better call the DMV and find out if she can sell it or not. In this type of situation without the OR specifically listed, I doubt it. That gives you a little time to deal with this.

HOWEVER, find out RIGHT NOW.

S

stick4156

Thank you very much. I will look into that immediately!

S

stick4156

She can not sell without me being present to sign the title.
Thank you. That's a start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">