• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

another seatbelt question in missouri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

long25

What is the name of your state? Missouri
Hello, yesterday i got stopped at what was called a "license checkpoint" by missouri troopers ( who were actually parked in a private business drive, and i don't think they can do that)...I was driving my GMC pick-up, he asked me if there was a reason why i wasn't wearing my seatbelt?.....after a puzzled look from me i said " I'm in a truck, you don't have to wear one in a truck, pretty sure of it"...he then said "I have plates registering under 12000 pounds or something, and i'm supposed too". I am 37 years of age , been driving for a few years, i have always thought, and everybody else i have asked agrees with me......you don't have to wear one in a truck in Missouri, unless your 18 years of age or younger. I looked in the State of Missouri Department of Revenue drivers manual...and it states the following "Missouri law requires all front seat occupants in passenger CARS and persons under 18 years of age riding in or operating a truck must wear a seatbelt" . That is ALL that it says in the book. I checked their website, and it says word for word the same thing. The Missouri state troopers website has the statutes.....and after alot of digging i found some crap about vehicles under 12,000 pound , and having to wear one. IT IS NOT IN MY DRIVERS BOOK, NEVER HAS BEEN, AND NOT ON THE DEPARTMENT OF REVENUES SITE EITHER. How can they honestly do this? How can they enforce a law, that nobody is shown, or even told about? I don't think they are right. I would like to fight it if i had a chance. Also, don't they have to get my signitature? He put a "X" where my name was to be signed, but forgot to ask me....so it's blank down there. I had heard before...that if you show up for court and the officer isn't there too, it will be throwed out. Is that true?.........

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You are truly one entertaining Hillbilly!

1. So, you don't believe the police can be "parked in a private business drive"? Of course they can - - with the owner's permission.

2. With regard to the 12,000 pound limit, and seatbelt usage, have you ever heard of "Ignorance of the law is not an excuse or a defense"?

3. With regard to your signature on the ticket, it's not needed. When you first signed the application for your driver's license, you agreed to the jurisdiction of the court when it comes to traffic violations. So, your signature is not needed. If you fail to appear, a warrant for your arrest will be issued.

Thanks for the chuckles.

IAAL

L

long25

I am not a hillbilly. I live in a city, and work for the Kraft Foods corp. , as far as the private drive issue...a former city police officer told me that one. If they don't tell people the laws, how are we supposed to know them? Are we all supposed to read thru the statutes. No wonder people have issues with the driving laws, if they can't seem to tell us in the book OR even on their own website what the laws actually are...................and it seems like all you do is around in your crapper , playing on your laptop, trying to sound like a expert. I had several good quesions, Is there any educated experts here who can at least give me a answer decently, whether i'm right or wrong, just a polite answer would be enough. This is supposed to be a legal message board, about serious issues...if i wanted a answer like that i would have asked people in a "singles chatroom" on Yahoo...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Hey, by sheer birth, and birthright, and since you live in Missouri, you're a Hillbilly. Be proud! It doesn't matter where you work, or that you live "in the City".

Everything I told you is correct. You just choose to disbelieve it. Okay with me! Don't show up to court - - remember, you didn't sign the ticket! And, of course, if you do show up, the judge will most certainly throw out the charges! What a dufus.

By the way, can you send out some macaroni and cheese? Some of our trailer dweller writers need dinner tonight.

IAAL

Last edited:
L

long25

I was not born in, or arround this state, and actually this is the northeastern corner of Missouri, Hillbillies live in the southern "Ozark area" going down into Ark. I transfered into this plant, and we don't make Mac and cheese here, they make most of the Oscar Meyer center cut bacon in your stores and most of the sliced ham packages here at this plant. I never SAID i didn't believe you, i would have liked a decent answer though, instead of a smart ass answer trying to insult me. What about the officer not being present? Have a answer to that one? I had heard , and read about people "getting out" of speeding tickets because the officer wasn't in the court room.....

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

long25 said:
I was not born in, or arround this state, and actually this is the northeastern corner of Missouri, Hillbillies live in the southern "Ozark area" going down into Ark.

MY RESPONSE: Okay, so you're a Hillbilly by choice, and not birth. Adds up to the same thing - - trailers, bowling alleys, open cesspools, old refrigerators in the yard, etc. So, if you don't mind, I'll clump y'all together. (Hey, looky dat! I said, "y'all"!)

I transfered into this plant, and we don't make Mac and cheese here, they make most of the Oscar Meyer center cut bacon in your stores and most of the sliced ham packages here at this plant.

MY RESPONSE: Oh, so you work at the "important" plant! The "center cut" bacon plant. Excuse me. (You have to understand something - - the more you explain yourself, the louder I'm laughing!)

I never SAID i didn't believe you, i would have liked a decent answer though, instead of a smart ass answer trying to insult me.

MY RESPONSE: Hey! You never once asked for a pillow or a blanket. You know, it's okay to be a smartass, especially when you ARE a smartass! It's really a lot of fun! Yeeeee Hawwww!

What about the officer not being present? Have a answer to that one?

MY RESPONSE: Present at what? The Kraft "center cut" bacon plant?

I had heard , and read about people "getting out" of speeding tickets because the officer wasn't in the court room.....

MY RESPONSE: Ah, so that's what you mean. Well, your bowling alley buddies are correct. You have a right to confront your accuser - - the cop. Therefore, if he fails to appear at your TRIAL, not your pre-hearing, but your TRIAL, then the charges MUST be dismissed. Don't count on the cop not appearing. If the cop can't appear, the judge will merely reschedule your trial when he can be there.

YEEEEEE HAW! Ride 'em cowboy!

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Hey, are you the guy that beats those old piggies senseless with a baseball bat when they enter the "center cut" bacon plant? Or, do you shoot those puppies?

IAAL

L

long25

Have a drink me buddy, sounds like you started earlier. I came here for a legal answer, not to trade shots in a chat room.......so long!.....

L

long25

This isn't a process plant. Pork Bellies are shipped here for bacon or ham packaging. I'm in middle managment..that's all.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

long25 said:
Have a drink me buddy, sounds like you started earlier. I came here for a legal answer, not to trade shots in a chat room.......so long!.....

My response:

Oh, c'mon! I was just "funnin' with you". Where's your thick skin? You could sure use some of that pigskin.

However, there was nothing legally inaccurate about anything I told you.

C'mon back now, ya here!

IAAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">