• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I have a friend who is presently homeless and chemically dependent. He is presently staying with a young man that he has known for about 13 years. The young man has no family and would like some. They would like for the older gentleman to adopt the younger (an adult as well). As far as I know there are no inheritance, land, property, estate, competency, retardation or other issues. Is what they desire possible? Approximately, how much might this cost? Are there any other options? (ie. Name change, etc.)

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

MUST THE CHILD BE A MINOR TO BE ADOPTED?
No. A person may adopt an adult as his/her child, if permitted under the state's law. There may be special advantages to adopting an adult as a child, such as avoiding generation-skipping transfer tax when a person wants to provide the bulk of his/her estate upon death to a friend who is many years younger. Another example may occur as a result of a state rule, such as the rule in California, that real property acquired by a child is not reassessed for tax purposes after the death of a parent (but the transfer would trigger property tax reassessment if the recipient were not the child of the decedent). Other factors, such as long-term emotional bonds, may cause one adult to adopt another adult as his/her child.

To check for your state: got to the freeadvice.com homepage. At the top, click on state statutes and then click on your state and then do a keyword search for adoption or look under the family code section of your state.

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">