• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oracle117

What is the name of your statE california

a PI case was filed in 2/2003 (accident 3/2002) at that time there was a one year statute of limitations. now there is a two year statute of limitations.

the case is dismissed without prejudice 3/2004.

can you file a new suit for the same accident now?

thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

oracle117 said:
What is the name of your statE california

a PI case was filed in 2/2003 (accident 3/2002) at that time there was a one year statute of limitations. now there is a two year statute of limitations.

the case is dismissed without prejudice 3/2004.

can you file a new suit for the same accident now?

thanks

=========================================

My response:

The Statute of Limitations for injuries changed from 1 year to 2 years in January of 2002. Therefore, on the date of your accident, there was a two year limitations period in effect - - which would carry your claim up to March of 2004.

If your dismissed action can "relate back" to the original complaint; i.e., repairing the causes of action of the original action, then you can refile an "amended complaint" without fear of being barred by the Statute of Limitations.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">