• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Fiance' refusing to cooperate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

megety

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania I was in a relationship with a man for the last almost 7 years. We just got engaged at Christmas and he left me and my two boys at the end of January. To make a very long story short he came back with all these promises on how great all of our lives was going to be and talked me into co-signing for a new vehichle for him. 2 days later he left again, this time for good. It has been over 2 months now and I am trying desperatley to pick myself up and get on with my life. The only problem is the vehichle he is driving is in my name also, loan, registration and title. I have asked him numerous times to please refinance the vehichle to get my name off of it and he refuses. WHAT CAN I DO??? I am soo afraid he will be in an accident and people will come after me. What are my options? Is there any way I can force this issue? Legally can I take the vehichle from him? HELP!!!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Do you have PROOF with you that the car is registered in BOTH names? If so, does the registration have an "or" between your names? If it does, then you can get the car and sell it on your own. If it does, then you can legally change the locks and the ignition key - - that way, he can't merely come to your place a re-take the vehicle, while you're waiting to sell it.

IAAL

M

megety

Taking It

I have the actual registration card. I will have to check and see if it says "and" or "or". The only problem is being a single mom of 2 I do not have an extra $500 a month to keep up with the payments. I do not want my credit to be comprimised at all because of this mistake. He has only had the vehichle for 2 months so I know I could never sell it for the amount that is outstanding on the loan. I wish their was a legal way I could make him take my name off of the loan. No???

O

oberauerdorf

The only problem is the vehichle he is driving is in my name also, loan, registration and title.
I deleted my post because of a different reading of the above. It sounded to me as if the vehicle was in your name AND ALSO the load, registration and title.

Get the answer IAAL asked for then wait.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Taking It

megety said:
I have the actual registration card. I will have to check and see if it says "and" or "or". The only problem is being a single mom of 2 I do not have an extra $500 a month to keep up with the payments. I do not want my credit to be comprimised at all because of this mistake. He has only had the vehichle for 2 months so I know I could never sell it for the amount that is outstanding on the loan. I wish their was a legal way I could make him take my name off of the loan. No???

My response:

Legally make him? Sweetheart, you already said you don't have the money, so what makes you think you could hire an attorney to file a Partition action against him? That would be the only way to "force" him. So, that idea is out.

You had better hope that your registration says "or", and that you have the money to change the locks and ignition.

If not, there's nothing you can do. You should have married him - - that way, you could have had "marital" law protections.

IAAL

M

megety

Thanks for the advice. I will check the registration card tonight and figure out what to do. What if it says "and"??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

megety said:
Thanks for the advice. I will check the registration card tonight and figure out what to do. What if it says "and"??

My response:

If it says "and", then you're screwed, blued, and tattooed. You'll need his signature "AND" yours in order to sell it. He's not likely to do that - - unless he cares about his credit.

But, in that instance, and still because you're an owner, you'll still be able to take the vehicle. You'll just have to hide it so he can't take it back. Then, you'll have to either pay for it, or allow it to be repossessed by taking it back to the bank or to whomever financed it.

It will go down on your credit as a voluntary repossession. Not good, and you could still be sued by the bank for any amounts still owing on the contract AFTER it's auctioned off.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">