• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adoption to be finalized

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bgate

What is the name of your state? KY

I have consented to a step parent adoption and my lawyer is telling me that it will be finalized April 16th and that I will not have to appear in court to sign anything. Does this sound right? I was told in the beginning of this process, that the CP's lawyer will set up a court date for the finalization of the adoption, in which we will all have to attend in front of the judge. Just wanted to make sure that this is all done properly.

Thanks.

tigger22472

As long as the lawyers and judge have proof that you were notified really the only purpose for you to go would be to contest it. The ultimate decision on the adoption lays on the judge so even if you DID contest it would still be up to the judge. If you WANT to be there then that is your right...however I recommend that you don't. The child or children will hopefully see this as a new beginning. Your presence could hamper that.

B

bgate

thanks.

I am not going to contest this, I just wanted to make sure I was not suppose to appear in court to sign anything else. I actaully haven't had to appear in court for any of this process, so that's why I questioned it.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">