• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step father wants to adopt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

misbad

What is the name of your state? Indiana

i have a 13 year old daughter who's bio father has really never had anything to do with her. I have made several attempts to let him visit with her and be a part of her life.
in 1998 she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, just before the school year started and being a single mom and having to take 4 weeks off of work, i asked for his help to get her into school and he "flipped out" , I haven't seen or heard from him since.
paternity was never established and on her birth cert. the father's name is withheld and he has made no attempt financially or other. what steps do we take for my husband of 5 years to adopt her and do we really need an attorney?
My daughter is happy that she will now have a dad and is wanting this adoption too.

Last edited:

M

misbad

I am not finding any information on the site you requested, such as:

Do I need an attorney to fill out any forms, or is there a way I can do it myself.

If I don't need an attorney, Where can I obtain these forms or can I just type up my own case and print it off.

If I can do this..Where do I take them to file petition for adoption? What court?

snostar

Of course you can do it yourself. Adoption is a serious legal matter and and I advised you to consult an attorney. The division of Family and Children Services in your area may be able to provide forms and can point you in the correct direction or do a search for Idiana Adoption forms. What court to file in depends on where you live and how long you have lived there, again I can't emphasize enough the importance of speaking to an attorney about this matter.

K

krispenstpeter

does the bio father pay support? Has he called, written letters or had ANY contact with the child? Have you called him, known where he lived, or had ANY contact with him?

Were you married to the bio-father? Is there a Custody, visitation or support order?

There are so many other questions that you FIRST need answered that I could go on forever. You can't just adopt a child who has, as you stated, a bio-father. Before thinking you can do this yourself, you'd better take a good long look at the questions I posted.

M

misbad

re:kristenstpeter

As mentioned in my 1st posting, he has had nothing to do with her..when i mean nothing i MEAN NOTHING..no cards no letters, we were never married, his name is NOT on the birth cert. and she is 13 years old.
He has never helped finacially, emotionally or anything else..even when he knew she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1998 he never cared, and yes he was told about it because i looked him up through a mutual friend to ask him if anyone in his family had diabetes.
There was a 2 week period when she was about 2 weeks-4 weeks old that he had brief visitaion with her and that was it, i don't know where he lives now and really don't care..he has had PLENTY of opportunity to see her and speak with her and has chosen NOT to. And she could careless about him. She is very bright and said to me "If he doesn't want to see me it's his loss not mine!"

Last edited:
M

misbad

re:snostar

Thank you for your help, I will contact an attorney, however I know it can be very expensive and at this time, my husband is the only one working. we live in an area where there aren't a lot of jobs. But I will definately be contacting legal help. thanks again!!

Seanscott

Get a consultation with a good FAMILY attorney. It may be free, or it may cost $100. We completed a stepparent adoption in Indiana and the total bill (attorney, home study, legal filings, etc) was about $1500.
Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any questions about our experiences in the adoption process.

K

krispenstpeter

Before you start getting all huffy with me you'd better make damn sure that any attorney you speak with has read the following:

IN THE MATTER OF THE PATERNITY OF K. H., MIRIAM NASH, Guardian of K. H., Appellant-Respondent RICHARD HOWELL,
No. 45A03-9809-JV-385

APPEAL FROM THE LAKE SUPERIOR COURT
The Honorable Elizabeth F. Tavitas, Referee Presiding
The Honorable Mary Beth Bonaventure, Judge
Cause No. 45D06-9701-JP-13

M

misbad

krispenstpeter

I wasnt trying to come off as "huffy" you asked, i answered. I will take all advice from anyone into consideration, I just wanted to know where i stand. I would suggest that the next time you give advice, you show a little respect to the one asking for it!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">