• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if my childrens father is willing to give up parental rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Teemoni2

I'm newly married and my husband is not the father of my two older boys. Their father has not been active financially or physically in the last 2 1/2 years. I have custody over them due to domestic violence. He does not even have visitation rights in the court order. He recently left a message with a family member for me to drop the child support and he would not bother me if I did so. I'm considering asking him to let my husband have legal adoption of the boys in return. My questions are as follows.
1. Is there a software to let me do the paperwork?
2. If I do the paperwork would I need a attorney to submit it for me or can I submit to the courts.
3. If he does give up is parental rights to my husband will he be erased from the boys birth certificates, and my husband added?

I am from New Jersey

[This message has been edited by Teemoni2 (edited August 14, 2000).]

W

whitsix

well him giving up rights only means that he cannot ever have contact with them or access to any of thier records. this does not release him in any way to the support obligation. no court even with your request will stop his support unless your new love is willing to adopt them. the court sees it as they need a father there to support them. if he refuses then he will be jailed for contempt. many men try to give up rights hoping they will get out of support. thats not how it works. the only way a court will grant support to be stopped is to have another man adopt the child. to have his rights relinquished cost about $50.00 and the court house has all the papers for you to fill out. but he must show up to sign them.

W

whitsix

yes he will be taken off of all the paper work. the birth certificates will have the name of the man who adopts the child. you do not need a lawyer!! the paper work is available at your local clerck of courts and the filing fee is about $35.00to $50.00. once you fill them out and file them he will be served with the court date. he has to agree to this. this will release him of support as well as all of his rights. if your husband doesn't adopt the ex will still have to pay support.

T

Teemoni2

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whitsix:
well him giving up rights only means that he cannot ever have contact with them or access to any of thier records. this does not release him in any way to the support obligation. no court even with your request will stop his support unless your new love is willing to adopt them. the court sees it as they need a father there to support them. if he refuses then he will be jailed for contempt. many men try to give up rights hoping they will get out of support. thats not how it works. the only way a court will grant support to be stopped is to have another man adopt the child. to have his rights relinquished cost about $50.00 and the court house has all the papers for you to fill out. but he must show up to sign them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for the information!

LegalBeagle

First thing to do is to ask him. Since he does not have court ordered visitation he will have to go back to court and spend more money if he wants to come back into their lives. Chances are, if you ask for him to adopt and that he will no longer have any financial responsibilties, he will jump at it.. give it a go and see..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">