• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights on visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dell

My son is 4 and I have had custudy of him since he was born. His father and I never went to court for visitation rights. We had an agreement at one time that he would go to his fathers every other weekend. His father has always made problems for me and made it very hard for me to deal with him in making arrangements to see his son. In the past year it has been very difficult so I cut off visitation because of the abuse I receive in trying to
make arrangements. I would like to know if
it is illegal for me to cut off visitation
until it is settled through the courts.

dell

D

dell

We have never gone to actual court, but when we did a child support order, the paper work that I have says that our son is in my custody. To this piont there has never been a dispute about custody.

LegalBeagle

First of all, never enter into an unrecorded conversation. Email, letter or voice record everything. If you end up face to face with him, pull out your handy little voice recorder and tell him you are taping everything.

If there are no courts orders in place for visitation then you could deny him.. it would be better if you have proof as to why, so it will look better in court for you.

Also, you really need to ensure that you get custody sorted. Your child support states that the child is in your custody, not that you have a legal court order giving you physical custody. I do not know if this would be enough if the father should one day fail to return the child to progress legal action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">