• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I get a lawyer if my ex has one?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

saintracy75

Hello again everybody,

Throughout my entire custody and support case I have always been completely honest. Now since my ex has retained a lawyer it seems like I am the bad guy. As I had mentioned in a prior posting my children were taken from me because of an ex-parte motion my ex husband had gotten through lies. He has also found a way out of paying his past due child support and now I am affraid he has a better chance of keeping the children than I do. He is even getting married to someone he has only dated for a month. Will his marriage effect our case ? Will it make a big difference if I get a lawyer or not? How can I go about getting a lawyer that I can afford? Their are so many other issues pertaining to this case but I would write all night. Please someone help me. Their has to be some way that I can keep my children.

AAIL and LegalBeagel please reply... Thank you...............

L

LauraTx

i know where you are coming from, I could not afford a lawyer either and had to represent myself in court. There was a lady in my town in Texas that prepared court documents and gave you the info you needed to say to represent yourself. Be sure to go over what you are going to say several times because the judges get pissed when you make a mess of representing yourself. You can also buy a kit that tells you how to go about filing papers and even includes the documents you need to do so. I got mine at the Office Depot, but most office supply stores have them. I just told the judge that I couldnt afford a lawyer when I was making my speech, and I think it actually helped me, maybe sympathy from the judge? Anyways sometimes it is more complicated and you need an attorney. Most states offer free legal representation if you qualify financially, which many people do. Look in your phone book.

LegalBeagle

If you want your kids back, you need an attorney. You can try pro bono but the danger there is that your hand is already poor, no point making it worse by a lottory of a person giving their $200 an hour services for free.

Borrow the money if you need to.. if you abolutely can not afford it.. then search this board for 'pro bono' and visit the websites mentioned.

S

saintracy75

Thanks LegalBeagle,

That is pretty much what I had figured but I just wasn't sure. I have been trying to get my Dad to help me out but I havent had any luck. I thought that right now since I do not have the children maybe my husband and myself could get 2nd jobs to pay for one on our own. It is just unbelievable, we make about 65k per year and still do not have any money for an emergency!! I was also told that I should get a private inv. to prove that the children aren't ever with their dad anyway. They are split up-my daughter goes to grandpas and my son goes to a friend of the familys. They are never together when he has them and I am sure that cannot be good for their brother sister relationship. I will not give up until I have my children back where they belong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">