• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Heavenly

I am emerging from what was a sexually and emotionally abusive marriage, and filing for divorce. What I would like to know is, do I need to make my attorney aware of this abuse? There will be children involved (hubby hasn't met child - is a newborn). Will this abuse have any effect on proceedings?

Thanks for your help

H

Heavenly

The only thing I can say as "proof" is my memories..I never went to anyone about it during the marriage, as we lived in a small town (where he had grown up) and he knew everyone....After he ripped me to the point that I bled during one of his "escapades", I said something to my doctor amounting to the way the rip had been aquired, and she just giggled and said "Well, honey, you being newleyweds and all...things are likely to get a little rough". I do not call being held down and done against my will a little "rough".

But as far as proof? No, I do not have photos, or police reports, or eye-witness reports..just scars I will suffer in silence the rest of my life.

U

usdeeper

You can make your attorney aware, but with no proof all your ex has to do is deny it all. You could ask the doctor for a statement of the injuries you had that day but not sure what weight this will give you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">