• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copy right question about a web site

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

questor

What is the name of your state? sc

www.lunarembassy.com has a copy right. The owner has been in the news because he sells Moon Land! HaHA
It says the word lunar on his site does not have a copy right etc.
Is his idea to sell parcels of 1 acre lots an idea that cannot be
duplicated? He sells them as a "novelity". Would selling lots on
my site for example called www.moonlots.com be a copy right
violation if I did not copy any of his terms from his websites?
What if I sold 1/2 acre lots at a different price as a novelity only?
He says he has got several "copy cat sites" shut down for copy right violations. I have researched the trademark violations and there are none on record at the trademark office. I am not sure what the copy right violations are or if he has actually has received judgements to stop "copycat sites". What would constitute a "copycat" site? I want to sell MOON LAND without
a copy right violation. How? Help Please. I am serious. Can this be done without a copy right violation if I don't duplicate his site.
Is his "idea" copy righted? I know this sounds stupid but this is real. I need a real answer to a serious question about copy right law. Thanks:confused:

divgradcurl

"Would selling lots on
my site for example called www.moonlots.com be a copy right
violation if I did not copy any of his terms from his websites?"

No. Copyright does not protect ideas, only the "expression" of ideas.

"He says he has got several "copy cat sites" shut down for copy right violations. I have researched the trademark violations and there are none on record at the trademark office. I am not sure what the copy right violations are or if he has actually has received judgements to stop "copycat sites". What would constitute a "copycat" site? I want to sell MOON LAND without
a copy right violation. How? Help Please. I am serious. Can this be done without a copy right violation if I don't duplicate his site."

Yes, you can do this without violating any copyrights he might own. That doesn't mean he won't try and take legal action against you, but it does mean that he won't be successful if he does go to court.

"Is his "idea" copy righted?"

Again, no, you cannot copyright an "idea."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">