• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving in Va.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hewlett

What is the name of your state? Virginia (Fairfax County)

Yeah, I know. Like this place needs another thread like this...

The other day I was clocked going 70 in a 50 mph zone - which is automatically reckless driving. I know it's a serious charge and I'm wondering about my chances of getting it knocked down to speeding in court. Does anybody know the process when you go to court? Do you have a chance to speak to someone about dropping the reckless charge before you see a judge? And is hiring a lawyer a necessity?

JETX

If we could 'foretell' what punishment, if any, or fine, if any, you might get, or even what might happen as to the charge against you (guilty, nolo, plea down, etc.), do you really think we would be on this forum??? We would be winning every state lottery and sitting on the beach in Belize or somewhere.

Whatever might happen to you is entirely up to the court and your ability to prevent a defense if you are going to.

H

hewlett

I wasn't expecting a crystal ball prediction. I was asking about the process. I've never been to traffic court and have no idea what to expect. At what point would someone attempt to plea down for a lesser charge? Before going in front of a judge? I'm sure past charges/infractions are a huge factor in getting a reduced charge but what other factors would the court take into account? I'm just looking for general info, not specifics on my circumstances.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

JETX said:
If we could 'foretell' what punishment, if any, or fine, if any, you might get, or even what might happen as to the charge against you (guilty, nolo, plea down, etc.), do you really think we would be on this forum??? We would be winning every state lottery and sitting on the beach in Belize or somewhere.

Whatever might happen to you is entirely up to the court and your ability to prevent a defense if you are going to.

**A: good one, very good. Especially the beach part.

K

krispenstpeter

I guess this place is going to be getting VERY crowded :D

I'll reserve an Island girl and a private cove for you Jet :D

H

hewlett

A few more questions:

If I speak with a prosecutor beforehand, is it pretty much a necessity that I have a lawyer?

Would the fact that I didn't dispute the charge at the time the cop wrote the ticket affect me trying to plea with the prosecutor at court?

Last edited:

lwpat

"If I speak with a prosecutor beforehand, is it pretty much a necessity that I have a lawyer?"

Usually they will not talk with you directly until you appear in court. That is why people hire attorneys to work out a deal so they do not have to appear.

"Would the fact that I didn't dispute the charge at the time the cop wrote the ticket affect me trying to plea with the prosecutor at court?"

It is common practice for the officer to either videotape or record the stop. If you admitted to reckless driving or the speeding then you have no defense. Actually I don't think you have any defense anyway.

"And is hiring a lawyer a necessity?"

No. but in your position I would.

H

hewlett

No, I really don't have any kind of defense for a not guilty plea. But as far as getting the charge knocked down, a lawyer could contact a prosecutor to make a deal before I even have to go to court?

JETX

"If I speak with a prosecutor beforehand, is it pretty much a necessity that I have a lawyer?"
*** Considering that this is a traffic ticket (minor), you should be okay without an attorney.

"Would the fact that I didn't dispute the charge at the time the cop wrote the ticket affect me trying to plea with the prosecutor at court?"
*** Nope.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">