• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 year old step son wants me to adopt him.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ChristinaR

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a 16 year old step son who wants me to adopt him. He has been with me for 3 years.
From what I understand the bio mom hasn't had anything to do with him since he was around 7 years old (They divorced when he was 4 father has full custody). She disappeared and hasn't been heard from since.
To adopt him would we have to track the mom down and have her sign off? As a mom of three others I don't think I could do that to another, yet its plainly obvious that this woman doesn't want a relationship with her son and its heart breaking. I told him I would check into it for him and see what information I can get.
Thanks for any input.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ChristinaR said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a 16 year old step son who wants me to adopt him. He has been with me for 3 years.
From what I understand the bio mom hasn't had anything to do with him since he was around 7 years old (They divorced when he was 4 father has full custody). She disappeared and hasn't been heard from since.
To adopt him would we have to track the mom down and have her sign off? As a mom of three others I don't think I could do that to another, yet its plainly obvious that this woman doesn't want a relationship with her son and its heart breaking. I told him I would check into it for him and see what information I can get.
Thanks for any input.

My response:

At his age, what would be the point of officially adopting him? In less than 2 more years, he'll be an adult.

IAAL

C

ChristinaR

I've asked him the same thing and his answer was "I want you to be my legal real mom" As far as I'm concerned he is my son already.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ChristinaR said:
I've asked him the same thing and his answer was "I want you to be my legal real mom" As far as I'm concerned he is my son already.

My response:

Tell him, "deary, I already am because I'm married to your Dad." What the hell do 16 year old kids know about law anyway? That statement sounds logical, and he won't know any better.

The reality is, your marriage gives you absolutely no rights to him, and you don't need to adopt him. Why would you even consider placing a "legal noose" around your neck?

IAAL

C

ChristinaR

The reality is, your marriage gives you absolutely no rights to him, and you don't need to adopt him. Why would you even consider placing a "legal noose" around your neck?

Good point, and something for me to really think about.

Thank you for the practical view.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">