• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this harrassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Citizen35112

What is the name of your state? Washington

A neighbor e-mailed me and told me my dogs wake her up with their barking. I e-mailed her back and said I would work with them and not let them out after 10:00 PM. I never heard from her again. Soon after, I got a letter from animal control. I requested copy of the complaint and found out the same neighbor made up a name, used a family member's address and her work phone #. I talked to all my other neighbors and she is the only one that has a problem with the alleged "barking". She has made two complaints to the home owner's association "anonymously". We stress out all the time now and keep waiting for another letter from either animal control or the home owner's association because she exaggerates and stays "anonymous" whenever she makes a complaint. Our dogs are no louder than the kids playing in the street. To make things worse, she is an attorney and we are feeling bullied. Plus, we don't think it is right for an attorney to make up names and submit complaints against us with a public authority. Can I complain to the Bar Association? Sue her for harrassment? Talking to her does no good because she just lies to us.

n_and

Can I complain to the Bar Association? Sue her for harrassment? Talking to her does no good because she just lies to us.
1. You can, sure, but it's not like it will do anything.
2. You can sue whomever you like. This is not harassment. How do you know she isn't feeling threatened by you, and this is why she remains anonymous.

Keep your dogs quiet between the hours of 10 am & 10 pm. Sorry, but that's all there is to it. I'm not a fan of my neighbor's dogs that bark all the time, either. The thought of a BB gun has crossed my mind often.

Good Luck.

n_and

I don't have an obedience school link for you. But 'quiet time hours' are usually between 10 am & 10 pm. ex: If I was to call animal control or my local police force on my neighbors for their dogs barking incessantly at midnight, the owners would be advised to keep the dogs inside. After 10 pm is 'disturbing the peace'. It'd be the same if I was to stand outside barking and howling at midnight. I'd get arrested for disturbing the peace, or I would be advised to stay inside.

dequeendistress

Re-read your post N

Also, no one is going to be arrested for a barking dog and a barking dog alone....at least I would not.

and if you are at your door barking and howling at midnight....well, then you are probably going to be explaining why to the judge at a competence hearing

Last edited:

n_and

What did I say? I don't get it! I know that no one will get arrested, I said I would if I was howling at midnight...I know that an animal control officer will advise you to keep your dog inside if it is barking and howling all night, so I stated such. A neighbor complaining about dogs barking is not harassment. Loud noise after your towns designated time is disturbing the peace. What did I say wrong?"If I was to call animal control or my local police force on my neighbors for their dogs barking incessantly at midnight, the owners would be advised to keep the dogs inside."
Honestly, I don't know what is wrong with what I said.

dequeendistress

Anyone can sue for anything--although I would not advise a suit.

Can you turn her into the bar---uhhh, no, but if you really wanted to, go ahead....it is not going to matter.

What is homeowner associations stance on creating disturbance and not maintaining your animal(s)?

C

Citizen35112

What is homeowner associations stance on creating disturbance and not maintaining your animal(s)?
Thanks for the advice everyone. The homeowners association can fine me if they get enough complaints. They have already told me that the "anonymous" complaints they have been getting are from the same person. Since nobody on my entire block has a problem, they are not taking it seriously. Their rules are pretty much the same as the city's. So, can I safely assume that if my dogs are quiet between 10:00 PM and 10:00 AM I shouldn't worry about it?

I was just really bothered that an attorney would go so far as to make up names to file a complaint, and if she continues to do so, it will just become a nusiance. We aren't in Junior High here...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">