• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Angry!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blg0720

What is the name of your state? NC

I just received a ticket for 44 in a 35 zone. I called the Clerk's office and the exorbitant fee for this MINOR infraction is $110, and that's if I DON'T go to court!!! First, I feel that this is ridiculous! Second, I have had no offenses for eight years. I don't know if I have any shot at a Prayer for Judgment without going to court, but court costs are another $90. I know I was wrong to be speeding, but isn't this fine a little extraordinary??

What are my odds of getting a Prayer for Judgment and do I need to get a lawyer to ask for one?

Thank you.

HomeGuru

blg0720 said:

I just received a ticket for 44 in a 35 zone. I called the Clerk's office and the exorbitant fee for this MINOR infraction is $110, and that's if I DON'T go to court!!! First, I feel that this is ridiculous! Second, I have had no offenses for eight years. I don't know if I have any shot at a Prayer for Judgment without going to court, but court costs are another $90. I know I was wrong to be speeding, but isn't this fine a little extraordinary??

What are my odds of getting a Prayer for Judgment and do I need to get a lawyer to ask for one?

Thank you.
**A: you see what happens when you do not follow the law. They hit you where it hurts.

B

blg0720

Re: Re: Angry!

HomeGuru said:
**A: you see what happens when you do not follow the law. They hit you where it hurts.
Yeah. Thanks for NOT answering my question. :mad:

HomeGuru

blg0720 said:

I know I was wrong to be speeding, but isn't this fine a little extraordinary??

**A: NO.

What are my odds of getting a Prayer for Judgment

**A: do you go to church?
and do I need to get a lawyer to ask for one?

**A: no, you can ask on your own behalf.

Thank you.

**A: you're welcome.

B

blg0720

Okay, so you want to get ugly. (or are you already?!)

First, according to your profile, you're not even a lawyer.

Second, does IAAL really stand for I Am A Loser?!

Enjoy that taste of your own medicine.

dequeendistress

OK

Let's break this down:

You are guilty of speeding...this you admit.

There is a fine for speeding and you do not agree with the amount...your options

Pay the fine or spend more fighting it and paying it in addition

HomeGuru

blg0720 said:
Okay, so you want to get ugly. (or are you already?!)

**A: bioghead0270 has a complex.

First, according to your profile, you're not even a lawyer.

**A: Huh? Did you read my biography?

lwpat

"just received a ticket for 44 in a 35 zone. I called the Clerk's office and the exorbitant fee for this MINOR infraction is $110, and that's if I DON'T go to court!!! First, I feel that this is ridiculous! "

The politicians are using fees such as speeding tickets rather than raising taxes. They will get it one way or the other. If you disagree so strongly then run for office. Many NC cities are now using red light cameras to raise revenue so you can help do away with them also when you are elected.

"What are my odds of getting a Prayer for Judgment and do I need to get a lawyer to ask for one?"

Since you have a clean record this should not be a problem and the clerk can normally do this without you having to appear.

B

blg0720

Thank you very much. This is the most honest and helpful (not to mention NICEST) response I've gotten. I will call the Clerk tomorrow or the next day.:)

B

boots76

What county were you in? I got a ticket in Cherokee (Jackson County) and they dropped mine to a lesser speed, but I still had to pay the full fine. As I understand it, the court costs are billed into a ticket anywhere outside the city limits. If I had been inside Sylva city limits, my ticket would have been like 35$. Because I was in Cherokee, it cost me a whopping $125. You are not charged an additional $90. If they drop your speed, you still pay the fine, but nothing hits your insurance as long as you don't get anything else on you within a year. If you do, they both hit your insurance at the same time. My insurance tried to slap the points on mine anyway, but I caught it and made them fix it, so pay attention to your premiums!

B

boots76

P.S. Go to court and show up early. You'll have to stand in line to talk to the big guy, but if you don't go, you're S.O.L.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">