• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopting my sister in-law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DavidandMartha

CMSC and stealth2 I'm not really looking for your or anyone elses psychological opinion, I think this is an important matter to me and I'm looking for profesional answers that can help me to decide what is best for me. Also I have the right to do with my life whatever I please.

Last edited:

nextwife

One one hand you say adoption. On the other you say custody (Guardianship?). Which are you trying to do?

If you adopt her, should your wife ever divorce you, YOU will be responsible for paying child support for your SIL until she reaches majority. You may be better off attempting legal guardianship. She does not meet the legal definition of an "orphan", so I'm doubtful you could use an I600a visa to do an international adoption.

CMSC

So you are going to give up your rights to your own child and then go and adopt someone elses???

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Oh Lord.

And as for "we'll never divorce"... I don't think anyone EVER thinks they're going to divorce. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. But as my grandmother used to say.... "Never.... is a very long time."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">