• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent adoption/child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whitsmom

We live in FL. My daughter is 9. Her dad and I have not been together for 6 years or so. I have been married to another man for 4 1/2 years. Her father and I were never married, have no court orders of any kind. He was abusive and spent much time in jail...most recently about a year ago. He rarely asks to see his daughter (once or twice a year.)

My husband would like to adopt her...my ex has very little to do with her. Ex said "no" to adoption, but doesn't want to be there for her either...just doesn't want my husband to adopt.

I decided to go for child support through child support enforcement (I am not on state aide). Me ex got served and called me and cussed me up one side down the other...how dare I and all that.

He called today again and told me if I wanted my f****g kid I could have her. I take that to mean he will sign rights over to my husband.

My question is this: can I bring my paper for him to sign his rights away to court and ask him to go have it signed at the clerk's office and when we get called in to court, I can ask that the support and back support be dropped. I am being represented by support enforcement, no a lawyer. I would rather have her adopted by my husband than get support from the ex since my daughter hardly knows him. Any suggestions?

W

whitsix

i am form florida, also have a nine year old daughter and just went through almost the same thing!!! yes you can have him sign them away and drop all support. then immediatly have you husband adopt her. good choice the guys a jerk. as soon as he signs file them right away. i would like to talk to you more about this! my e-mail is whitsix @yahoo.com. if youd like to chat it seems like we are in the same boat!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">