• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband seeking to adopt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lyncucu

My husband is seeking to adopt my daughter of a previous relationship. My daughter's father has seen/spoken to her once last year, before that she was about 5 months old the last time she saw him, and he has only paid child support once. She doesn't know who he is. A while back my daughter had an accident with my husband. It was labeled as abuse, and I was accused of neglet. The Dept. of Children and Families did not do a full investigation. The police were involved in the begining, but drop out because there was no evidence to the Dept.'s claim, we were psychologicly evaluated (test included) which were passed. The psychologist thought that the whole situation was ridiculous. We even had doctor statements which proved our case, all to no avail. Because my husband is the stepfather he could not be taken to court, but I was. And with all that I had on my side (no investigation, psychological test, doctor reports) I was still found guilty. My question now is even though all of that is well over, can my husband adopt my daughter without any major problems?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

This is not an answer that can be answered with a yes or no. If you were found guilty ultimately by a misunderstanding with your husband's actions, I don't how you could possibly think the court will overlook that when it deals with adoption issues.

The court takes into consideration the best interests of the child -- that is the primary focus. If they court, based on the evidence presented, determines adoption is the best answer, then it will happen. You need to be speaking a family law attorney you trust, about this.

Hope this helps.

U

usdeeper

You have to first establish if your ex will allow the adoption in the first place.

Personally, I am suprised you did not appeal the decision with so much evidence in your favour. I assume you did not have an attorney ?

L

lyncucu

I appreciate the replies. They have been very helpful. I actually did have a lawyer and they said that they would file the appeals paperwork, but I haven't heard anything since. I called and questioned them, and they said they would get back with me. I'm going to start my search for a new lawyer today.

I know that my ex doesn't care for my daughter, but he might not want to give up his rights just for his ego. That's if I can find him, he doesn't keep contact.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">