• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

damages for car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shariekrom

What is the name of your state? WI

I have a court date for a small claims case where there was an accident between myself and another person. This other person was driving on a suspended license at the time of the accident. My breaks went out, but if this other person had not been driving at all ( like he was supposed to) the accident would not have happened. He would not have been there to hit me in the first place! what are the odds that I will have to pay for his damges?
I feel that since he broke the law by driving in the first place he should bel iable for his damages and possably mine as well.

racer72

Sorry, the fact that the person was violating the law does not remove you from liability for the accident. Technically, you were violating the law by operating a motor vehicle that did not meet your state's safety laws. Your wrong outweighs his wrong and expect to lose in court.

S

shariekrom

still not understanding

the police said that there was nothing i could have done, as the loss of the brakes was not due to neglagnce in upkeep on the car, but faulty parts. That means that i had no way of knowing that the parts were not good, and would not hold. The master brake cylinder exploded. this was not a case of I just didn't take care of the car. As a mtter of fact I had just had the front brakes and rotors replaced and had all brake systems checked 3 days prior to the accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">