• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private school contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

teresakelchner

Hi...I am hoping someone can provide me with some general guidance on an issue, please. My daughter has attended and we had planned on her attending a private school. My husband rec'd a new job promotion and the location of the school is not convenient to where we live or his new job. My husband's former job was close to the school. We have paid a $700 non-refundable deposit and 1/2 of the tuition, $4000. According to the agreement/contract, they would like notice to withdraw prior to 7/15. Upon signing the agreement we agree to pay full tuition. At the time, we did not have issue with this. The issue only arose with the new job, which we could not control. The language in the agreement refers only to the upcoming school year. The school year has not yet started and think we can breach the agreement. The entire information on the 2 page agreement is 3 sentences long and is very ambiguous. We are asking for the $4000 back since she will not be going to school there, not the $700 deposit. We have been very supportive of the school thru donating money and volunteering. We are not displeased with the school, it is only no longer convenient. We are planning on writing a letter requesting the money back. Any advice suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you.

Z

Zoobie

You have the right idea, just ask for the money back and explain your circumstances. I dont know about your state , but in Connecticut there is a "cooling off" period where you can change your mind after signing a contract but its only like 2 or 3 days.

Call someone-like the attorney general- in your state and see if a policy exists there, but I think it may be too late for anything of that nature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">