• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are his chances for custody and mine for support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CarrieJean

I live in Massachusetts and am the mother of an 8 year old girl I have taken care of alone from her birth. Her father moved away while I was still pregnant and I did not see him again until she was 5. I have been going through the department of revenue to try to get child support since she was a baby, but they have had a difficult time locating him and don't seem to be in a big hurry since I do not and have never gotten welfare of any kind. I have just received notice that I have a court date for support. He said he will quit his job before he will give me anything. Do I have any chance of ever receiving anything? Can the judge order him to find a job? My daughter thinks the sun rises and sets on him. He says if he has to pay support he will try to get custody and make me pay support, citing the fact that I am white and live in an all white town and our daughter is ostracized because she is biracial and not being exposed to African-americans. Also, he was convicted about 5 years ago of indecent assault on a child 14 and under, which was a registered sex offense, but Massachusetts no longer requires sex offenders to register. Will this affect his chances for visitation or custody?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">