• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i need some help with this one

• Thread starter stuck in a hard place
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stuck in a hard place

my daughters biological father has not seen or partipated in her life since she was one year old. She is now almost four and i am in a relationship with a wonderful man who would love to adopt my daughter. So we went to a lawyer, he in turn, contacted my daughters father to see if he would be interested in relinquishing his parental rights. We recieved news that he was very willing to give up all rights to my daughter, but were very sad to discover that my boyfriend can not adopt her until we are married. Is this really a law? I understand the courts need to know there is stablity for the sake of my child, but single people and lesbian and gay couples adopt, how can this be fair. any info would be greatly appreciated.
p.s.- i live in New Hampshire

U

unsuremom

Hi. Hope this helps..to the best of my knowledge, your child cannot be adopted by anyone while you have legal custody, unless you are proven unfit, which I'm sure you are not unfit...otherwise your child would not be with you.

T

the dad

So?? Why not just get married? If he's willing to commit to a lifetime of fatherhood, marriage should not be such a dilemma....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">