• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony in PA - mandatory?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

raymond1

Background: 59 yrs. old and separated from wife (she is gainfully employed); I'm currently paying her "pende lite" support during separation (half of my salary).

Question: I can remember years ago hearing that alimony was not mandatory in PA. I just spoke to a friend who was divorced in PA and he also said that alimony in PA was not mandatory except in settlement situations. Is that true?

If I had to make a guess the answer to my question would be that if my "X" agreed to a settlement that didn't include alimony, the law would not require me to pay it. (That will happen only when hell freezes over.)

Bottom line - Is there any way I can stop my "X" from absolutely bleeding me dry or should I just expect the worst and move on? Any help or words of encouragement would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">