• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broward County Schools

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nyasa

I live in Florida. I recently relocated to South Florida from Suburban Maryland (DC area). I shopped for our new home strictly by school ratings, guessing that the better rated schools meant the better neighborhoods and considering I was moving my children from one of the best rated school systems in the country to one of the worst, I would try to get the best of the worst school. Was I wrong or what? I moved to Pembroke Pines from Silver Spring, MD in August of 2003, just before the new school year started. I enrolled my 9 year old adopted daughter in school and decided to home school my 11 year old who was having behavior problems (also adopted). The first day of school I immediately had problems, the school questioned whether I adopted my daughter or was she kidnapped. Once I had crossed that bridge the school guidance counselor called me to extend herself (so she said) but really she wanted to know what the single black woman was like. She instantly decided I needed food stamps, free clinics and I wasn't smart enough to home school my daughter. I was shocked when she called me and asked me to again present proof that my daughter was adopted. I let her speak to the adoption case worker and then when that was resolved, I found protective services at my door stating the school had accused me of child abuse. The claim was that I fed my child food she didn't like (LOL) and that I beat her with a broom and that my boyfriend and I fought physically in front of our children. WOW, was I p*ssed! Protective services instantly closed their case after finding that I had complained to the superintendent of schools only days before the school had called. I withdrew my daughter from school and have home schooled her every since. The neighbors were less than welcoming. They never allowed their children to play with my children and I even heard my next door neighbor tell her daughter to try to come in our house to see if we had furniture. Can you believe that people still believe the worst about others solely based on their race? I need an attorney who will at least look into my case and hopefully help me to sue Broward County School System so that they will never act this deplorable again.

K

krispenstpeter

And on what basis would you sue the school district?

You have not mentioned one act or incident that rises to the level of a cause of action.

N

Nyasa

I haven't told the whole story. The school lied to get Protective Services to my home. They also asked my daughter questions about who I sleep with and personal matters at home. They also questioned her about being adopted after I told them they couldn't.

Jesca3001

That is the wonderful Florida Educational system for you. Unfortunately, it does not appear that the school harrassed you to the point of having to sue. Yes, they assumed wrongly on many levels (foodstamps, free clinics, kidnapping) but you can't sue people for being idiots. and if anyone tries to badmouth homeschooling in front of you again, give them a pice of your mind for me :D i was homeschooled in florida all of my life, and wouldn't have it any other way.

N

Nyasa

My contention is the school made these judgements based on my race. Furthermore, it is against the law to lie to get protective services to investigate my home. The school also violated our rights when they asked my daughter about being adopted. Are there any lawyers out there?

shyextrovert

Discrimination

And on what basis would you sue the school district?

You have not mentioned one act or incident that rises to the level of a cause of action.
How about discrimination?
Do you ask everyone to provide proof they they parented the child they are presenting? I am a single adoptive father and it is very discriminatory when I get asked well where is my childs mother? Provide proof that she does not exist in his life? Provide proof he was adopted? My name is on his birth certificate but as soon as they see adopted its questioned especially for a single parent.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Did you notice that this post is close to 7 years old? At least one of the kids is out of school by now, or close to it.

shyextrovert

Did you notice that this post is close to 7 years old? At least one of the kids is out of school by now, or close to it.
no CBG I did not as I just joined and was browsing looking for an attorney for a different situation and her story seemed way to familiar. Sorry if my novice level disturbed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">