• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

huntersmom

I am 8 months pregnant and going to be a single young parent. I have been hearing that I need to file for custody before my baby is born. If I do not do so then the father could take the baby away and I would have to fight him in court to get the baby back and I could do nothing about it. Is this true and if so what actions do I need to take?

------------------

H

huntersmom

Its me again just thought I would let you know that I live in Texas if that helps any.

P

peter

How do you know you will be the BEST parent?

Maybe you will be a lousy mother and the father should get custody,

Do you have a ggo d job with health insurance?, good child care set up?

Are you expecting child support from the father? Then expect him to have a lot of visitation rights, maybe even co-parenting

H

huntersmom

Thanks for nothing...but i really need a serious answer. The father has no job and he is abusive if that answers you question!!!

K

kid's mom

Huntersmom,
I think the point was that too often people get caught up in egos instead of thinking about what's best for their child. You didn't mention any abuse from the child's father initially and unfortunately, some women don't seem to care that in most circumstances it's in the best interests of their child that the child have as much contact with the father as possible. The courts almost always favor the mother and if we're honest, we know this isn't always in the child's best interest. I believe this is was he was trying to point out to you. Sometimes the father is the best caretaker.

If he is abusive, you need to gather as much info regarding his behavior as you can. Write things down as soon as they happen noting times, dates etc and try to have people you trust with you as much as possible so they can witness the behaviors you're concerned about.

Finally, I don't think you have to worry about him getting full custody unless he can show somehow that you're unfit. I was threatened with this by my kids' father and even though I knew it could never happen, it still put fear in me just hearing him say it, so I know how you feel.

The best advice you can receive is to always have the best interest of your child in mind. Always. And if it means putting your ego aside sometimes, that's what you need to do.
Good luck to you. Hope this helped a little.

F

FERN

I THINK YOU PROBABLY SHOULD TO BE SAFE.YOU SHOULD MAKE SOME PHONE CALLS AND GET STARTED.I DID READ RECENTLY THAT IF YOU HAVE A CHILD OUT OF MARRIAGE THERE IS NOT A FATHER UNTIL A PATERNITY TEST IS DONE. BUT IF MARRIED THE BABY IS ASSUMED HUSBANDS. YOU CAN FIND A LOT OUT, SEARCH THE WEB. ALSO AS FAR AS BEING A BAD MOTHER, DON'T LISTEN TO THAT STUFF. YOU WILL BE A WONDERFUL MOTHER,OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE THINKING OF THE CHILDS BEST INTEREST YOUR 8 MONTHS PREGNANT. AND YOU WANT THE BABY. I FEEL THE BEST PLACE FOR A BABY IS BEING WITH ITS MOTHER, WHO IS IN TUNE WITH HE/SHE'S EVERY NEED. CHILDREN DON'T NEED ALL THE MATERIAL THINGS AND MOST OF ALL "DAY CARE". THERE IS A REASON WHY YOUR NOT WITH THE FATHER RIGHT! SO YOU KNOW WHATS BEST. DONT STRESS OUT AND THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU...

Do you have any other children? Have you been married before? Are your parents supportive? Do you live with your parents? I ask because these are things the court will factor in. make sure you have a stable job. I've been through this so I was just wanting to help more but I need more information. Thanks! Post a reply and maybe we can chat. I don't have access to the internet but using a freinds computer.

H

huntersmom

No I do not have anyother children, I have never been married, I do live with my parents and they are helping me out....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">