• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander/ Libel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bumptwo

What is the name of your state? Tn.

A document was recently filed against me, in this document the person accuse me of alot of wrong doing thanks to audio and visual tapes I will able to prove him wrong. My question is he made a statement that is very demeaning to me and before I respond to this I would like to know if it falls under the Libel Law. His statement is " She is incompetent and she does not know her job and she should not be a supervisor".

HomeGuru

bumptwo said:
What is the name of your state? Tn.

A document was recently filed against me, in this document the person accuse me of alot of wrong doing thanks to audio and visual tapes I will able to prove him wrong. My question is he made a statement that is very demeaning to me and before I respond to this I would like to know if it falls under the Libel Law. His statement is " She is incompetent and she does not know her job and she should not be a supervisor".
**A: explain the document.

B

bumptwo

The document is an grevance filed against me, kept in mind there is no union. This document will be viewed by my supervisor and up.

HomeGuru

bumptwo said:
The document is an grevance filed against me, kept in mind there is no union. This document will be viewed by my supervisor and up.
**A: in my opinion you have no case, if the writer was expressing his or her own true belief.

B

bumptwo

Slander/Libel

Would this person need to show proof of my so called incompentent. And if they could not show proof this still stands. Even if this could case me my rank.

HomeGuru

Re: Slander/Libel

bumptwo said:
Would this person need to show proof of my so called incompentent. And if they could not show proof this still stands. Even if this could case me my rank.
**A: no. What was the highest grade level of education that you have?

B

bumptwo

EXCUSE ME, I used the wrong word I am writing this at work. FORGIVE ME

THANK YOU

JETX

Okay... lets get a dose of reality here.....

1) In order to determine if defamation exists at all, one would have to review the SPECIFICS of any claim being made. Clearly, you are talking about potential issues and we can't review them.
2) Your post is not clear as to what actual damage you MIGHT incur.
3) And finally, any defamation case is expensive and time-consuming. Do you have the roughly $10,000 or so that it might take to fund this claim in court (with an 'iffy' at best potential) and the year PLUS that it will take??

So, in theory... depending on what MIGHT be actually said and what damages you MIGHT actually incur, you MIGHT have a lawsuit. But in reality, you would likely be a fool to 'gamble' with the money and time it would take to pursue it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Generally, mind you, I said "generally", in any type of grievance procedure the words, whether written or oral, are protected speech.

The purposes of this is to encourage the openness required when submitting a complaint or grievance; i.e., "to get everything out in the open and on the table".

If this weren't the case, people would never file complaints or grievances which would defeat the purpose.

However, if this person announced their feelings about you out in the open, and in front of persons that it would matter to, and you were somehow damaged; e.g., loss of your job, then you might have a cause of action.

But, since the statements were made in a "grievance" process or setting, then the statements made are more than likely "protected" speech.

IAAL

B

bumptwo

Slander/Libel

Thank you now I know not to use words like Slander in my remarks. Althrough I think the cheif and board should make him clarify his statement since this will be going into my work record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">