• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If he does not cooperate then what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Teemoni2

My childrens father who has not been active in there lives for the past two and half years says he will sign to give up his parental rights. I really don't believe him and I want to know what to can I do to declare him unfit in the courts so that my husband can adopt them. I want to have other options open in case he backs out. He is an unfit father and he lives in another state (maryland). He owes me child support of up to $6,000 and he has another daughter and owes her about $4,000. He's not been active in her life for over 5 years. He has warrants for his arrest for child support, fradulent drivers Identity, credit card scams, and bouncing checks for upto $3,000. He has accumulated all this in the last 3 years of our separation. I live in New Jersey. Please help me by sending me information and let me no if this is an expensive move to make. I already know of the cost to go to court and give up his rights voluntaringly. I need to know the cost and the steps for declaring unfit.

N

newmom

Why not cross the bridge when you get there. If he has not been active in their lives for so long, what makes you think he will change his mind about signing away his rights?? Plus, he owes $10,000 in CS, that's a crime and he will go to jail!!!!!!!!!! Make a deal with him, forgive all back support if he signs off on the children. Just a bit of incentive on your part. If he goes to court to sign papers, I can't imagine, in the courtroom he is going to say "oh, I changed my mind, I want to pay all my back support and become a part of my children's lives and continue to pay support which I obviously can't afford" Just deal with one problem at a time - there is not need to prove him unfit if he is willing to terminate his rights.

T

Teemoni2

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by newmom:
Why not cross the bridge when you get there. If he has not been active in their lives for so long, what makes you think he will change his mind about signing away his rights?? Plus, he owes $10,000 in CS, that's a crime and he will go to jail!!!!!!!!!! Make a deal with him, forgive all back support if he signs off on the children. Just a bit of incentive on your part. If he goes to court to sign papers, I can't imagine, in the courtroom he is going to say "oh, I changed my mind, I want to pay all my back support and become a part of my children's lives and continue to pay support which I obviously can't afford" Just deal with one problem at a time - there is not need to prove him unfit if he is willing to terminate his rights.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm one step ahead of you newmom, I verbaly through the bone about me dropping childsupport and he said I will think about it. He has no custody, I have the custody and he does not have visitation rights either. I also have a restraining order in affect against him. But giving his history of wanting to see me unhappy for some reason I feel that he is pulling my chain and has no intention of doing anything in the interest of the children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">