• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grand Theft (I'm the victim)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bookworm75

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My home was burglarized while on a 1 week vacation, Over $22,000 worth of Furniture, Jewelry and stolen merchandise was taken. My new car was usd to transport this furniture and was damaged in the process. After investigation, lie detector tests and fingerprinting, My Sister-in-law was the main culprit. It took Detectives 1 Year to finally get paperwork over to the courts. My sis-in-law is still in the comfort of my in-laws home sitting pretty and we're still w/o furniture due to financial difficulty (I lost my job) and having hard time replacing most of the items.. (Insurance only paid about $15K due to depriciation). Question is: Why, if the cops know who she is and where she is residing and the fact she has MULTIPLE warrants, don't they go and apprehend her? also, what can I do to speed up this process and have justice served? I find it an add'l slap in the face by the justice system that she is probably sitting back laughing that nothing is being done, (she has commited MANY crimes to which nothing is ever done about it, and I feel until she is punished she will continue on the wrong path). *She just turned 20* and has been a trouble-maker for several years now.
Who do I go to to get justice served? The authorities don't seem to be motivated to get this resolved, and neither have the courts.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

djohnson

This is a good example of why you should have replacement insurance also.

Have you contacted the officer that done the original report to follow up? You need to contact the police department and find out. When they tell you where it stands then post back and you may get better assistance.

B

Bookworm75

This case is actually over 1 Year old. I had followed the case and continuosly called the detective every month for the past year. (He Retired in Late November, but did get the documents to the court). I had received a notice from the court asking to remit "Victim Impact Report" which basically asks me to state (for the judge) how I was impacted by the crime, emotionally, physically, etc., and if I incurred any financial loss. I sent this back and they scheduled a date (January 2004) court date. (Which I only found out AFTER the fact when I received a letter stating that she did not appear and was in default).

I called the DA and was told by him that "eventually" she will turn herself in. I stated that was ridiculous, This was my sis-in-law and I KNOW she would never do that. He said, "Yep, she will, if not in 1 year, 10 years but eventually she will".
So I stated, well then, I just have to grin and bear it until when and If that ever happens. HE said yes, there may come a time when she will want to apply for something, or renew her license, or something of that sort, and her Warrant will be there waiting for her, so she will decide to "turn herself in".
And to that I replied: Even though you guys KNOW where she is right now? You won't go pick her up? --- Nope ---

I then contacted the Police Dept. I stated "If I am aware of an individual who has a warrant and know her whereabouts.. can I give you that information? And if so, what will be done?"
The officer took the info, looked it up, confirmed there was a warrant, dispatched an officer (After I contacted the home and "confirmed" that she was currently there.. I pretty much called and made a lame excuse that I had to talk with her mother who I knew was not home at the time).

The officers were dispatched, but of course she didn't answer the door. The officer told me that had they saw movement inside, they would've took down the door, but because she showed no signs of being in the home, they couldn't "assume" she was there.

And so... Here I am on the forum, wondering what I should do next,,.....

Notes:

1.) I "Do Not" visit my in-laws because the Individual resides there.

2.) This individual has way more on her rap sheet than just the crime she committed against me.

Thanks in Advance

djohnson

There is an outstanding warrant for her arrest. Just because you know where she is the police don't. They can't help it if she doesn't open the door. They have other cases and have to move on. If she is ever pulled over for speeding or any of those things they have already told you then she would be arrested. The time usually comes when they get caught.

A

ALLISHA

The only way you are going to be able to get the police officer to get off their butts and do something is if you bug them everyday. Go to the station and ask questions. Call and ask questions. Do anything you can to keep the case on their minds

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">