• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long will he pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

baby_23_46526

My husband was divorced in 1986 he has been paying alimony every since he did not have a lawyer when he got the divorce she got half the land which he had to pay off for her she also made him pay the property tax on that land and then he got the half that was paid for is that fair ?? also he is still paying alimony he recently had a stroke and heart attack and is now paying this money out of his disablity can they make him pay her for the rest of his life ????????? please help

L

ldelagra

The property part of your question is yes, I believe that that type of settlement is pretty common. I do not know the answer about getting a modification of alimony. However, if he is now getting social security disability, I believe that she can now also get money from SSA (I think it depends on her age...give SSA a call to find out for sure). If she can get money from social security, that money may be able to be counted as part of his alimony. That is how it works with child support...I'm not sure of how it works with alimony. You didn't say what state you live in or that the divorce took place in so I can't give you any specific advice. Look up your state's "marriage and disolution statutes" to find out if the alimony can be modified.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">