• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

County unjustly harasses me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lbb87

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My local County Government and/or Zoning department seems to be harassing me and won't leave me alone. I suspect they want my property because there doesn't seem to be any other reasons for what they are doing to me.

Basically they are telling me that I'm not permitted to have certain things on my property. I checked the law on this and found that I am allowed to have these things. Currently, I'm trying to build a shed, which I have their permission to build. But once I start getting enough building material in here to build it, they say that the material is a zoning violation and then they end up coming in here and removing it from my property and charging me like $20,000 which I don't have. I want to build this shed on a second piece of property which I own but they won’t allow me to put the building material on this property until the shed is ready to be built. Instead, they make me keep the building material on another piece of property that I own (the property which has all the zoning violations) which is just plain odd. Last time they came here to take the building material they took things from screwdrivers to lawnmowers. I have witnesses that saw them do this. They also went into my sheds and took things. They took several thousands dollars worth of things that they knew they weren't legally allowed to take. Some of the more valuable stuff was taken to their homes for their own use. I know this because my son saw his dirt bike they took sitting out in one of the county employee’s backyard. He went to one of the employee’s houses looking for it because he saw them take it but was too afraid to say anything to them when he saw them taking it.

I have a court appointed attorney and can't afford to hire my own attorney because I'm disabled. The court appointed attorney isn’t doing anything to help me and also called me a “stupid freak” in front of my children which has really upset them. Also, no lawyer in this county wants to take my case because it could jeopardize their career for sticking their nose in county business. No other lawyers in other counties want to take my case pro bono.

I don't know what to do. I've contacted many organizations including the ACLU, the Virginia Bar Association, and other similar organizations. I've contacted numerous people and organizations in the state but no one can seem to help. The county continuously harasses me and keeps coming out here saying things are in violation, which aren't. They also try to provoke me into doing something which will get me arrested. My family is afraid of what they will try to do next. I know that something isn't right. There are many other people in the area who are in violation and they know this yet they only pick on me and I'm not in violation. I don't know why they're doing this to me other than they want my property and are using these tactics to force me off of it.

Anyone have any useful advice?

C

CourtJester

This may seem like a stupid question, but what about the police? Are they alowing this to happen and have you filed any complaints? I personally think that you need to video tape this and find out who is the next person above them on the legal food chain and go to them.

P.S. Lawyers also are more willing to take pro bono cases if there is something in it for them. So if you decide to file a law suit against the county for tresspassing, harrasment etc. and offer them 1/3 of your winnings (which is the lagal limit to how much they can take) you may have better luck getting a decent atourney. That's where the video tape comes in.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CourtJester said:
offer them 1/3 of your winnings (which is the lagal limit to how much they can take)

=====================================

My response:

Really? There's a "law" that says I can't charge a client more than 1/3?

Wow, I'd sure like to see that "law"! Care to point it out for me - - from any jurisdiction?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">