• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School not providing me with my daughters info?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

saintracy75

Hi Again,

For those who have followed my postings:

I just called my daughters school to see how she is doing because I miss her dearly and they told me they were unable to provide me with any other information. They told me that my ex brought in some sort of court order which prevented me from retaining any information on my children! This is unbelieveable!!!! I love my children with all my heart! I am starting to feel like my ex, reguardless as to how much he lies, will somehow get to keep my children. My husband said something yesterday that is so true,"It is not who abides by the law- it is who can find loop holes in the law that will WIN!!
Can someone tell me what my next step should be?

Thank you so much everyone.... Tracy

R

Ronne

My husband and I are going through the same problem: obtaining school information about his daughter.

We have just sent our SIXTH letter to the school requesting information. We also sent copies of all letters that we've sent the school so far to the superintendent of the school system. We hope to get more results this way.

As for the Court Order, I do not believe that your ex can just have one drawn up without your knowledge. I would have the school give me a copy of the Court Order that they have and then I would contact an attorney who is savvy in the Family Law area.

LegalBeagle

You need to petition the court to show that he has purposely go out of his way to stop you having access to your childrens details.

Is he allowing you normal visitation ?

S

saintracy75

Thank you for the information.

As for him allowing me regular visitation:

In our final judgement it stated that we allowed visitation NO LESS than every other weekend. When I had the children for my half of the summer I let the children visit them whenever he asked. He usually only asked for them every other weekend but if he had family coming in for something special I would let the children visit. Now that he has the children he only allows me every other weekend and he tells me the time to pick up and return. My daughter tells him that she wants to see me more but he still says no. It is all a control issue on his part. How could this be in the best interest of our children? My wonderful and most understanding husband wants to ask my exs permission to adopt the children. We will tell him that all past due support will be void, we just want our babies back. I am sure he will say no but maybe if we ask enough and offer him enough that we could retain custody one day.

#1mommy

I was told by my attorney, that because I have SOLE custody, it is my perogitive to block my ex from messing with my son on school grounds. Attorney said any information ex wants from school, must have my permission. Is this correct? I'm a little confused by what the original poster wrote.

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by #1mommy:
I was told by my attorney, that because I have SOLE custody, it is my perogitive to block my ex from messing with my son on school grounds. Attorney said any information ex wants from school, must have my permission. Is this correct? I'm a little confused by what the original poster wrote. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is because you have SOLE custody. The poster has Joint.

#1mommy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by usdeeper:

That is because you have SOLE custody. The poster has Joint.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for clearing that up for me, USdeeper...I thought maybe that was the case. I was unsure as to what kind of custody she had. :)

E

e43452

what im going thru.even though you have sole physical custody.the noncustodian parent has the same rights to records to children from schools,doctors,counselors,etc.as custian parents.
ive had to file a motion to prevent my ex trying to get my daughter's records from her counselor.the arguement is it's not her best interest.next month i go to court on this.meanwhile his attorney is subpeoning the records.

#1mommy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by e43452:
what im going thru.even though you have sole physical custody.the noncustodian parent has the same rights to records to children from schools,doctors,counselors,etc.as custian parents.
ive had to file a motion to prevent my ex trying to get my daughter's records from her counselor.the arguement is it's not her best interest.next month i go to court on this.meanwhile his attorney is subpeoning the records.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have "sole physical custody"...I have Sole "care, custody and control". My attorney said that this means that I make ALL decisions for my child. Ex must have my permission. Must be true, because the school cooperates with me.

B

Brigit

What about FERPA? The 'Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act'? Wouldn't that apply here? It says that unless there is a specific court order stopping the parent from access to school records, then they should be allowed....

#1mommy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brigit:
What about FERPA? The 'Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act'? Wouldn't that apply here? It says that unless there is a specific court order stopping the parent from access to school records, then they should be allowed....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I talked to my attorney yesterday and he said that my ex husband COULD get to the school records, (although he never has and doesn't care about that :) But that he (ex husband) cannot contact teachers or go on school grounds without my permission...which he HAS tried. He wrote a note to a teacher last year and said if there are any problems to contact HIM. It was then that my attorney was like, I don't think so, buddy. You don't have custody. Thanks for clearing that up, Brigit! I guess I was unclear about the school records because my ex husband has not tried to get them yet! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">