• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption finalized - child support still owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bgate

What is the name of your state? KY

I consented to a step parent adoption, in which it was finalized on April 16th. Child support was to continue until finalization. My tax refund was intercepted a few days prior to finalization showing it was to cover my debt owed to the mother. It had a set total and that was paid in full due to the intercept. My question would be: are my arrears now taken care of or should I expect to pay another 3-7 days of child support? It is showing my arrears are paid in full(according to the Cabinet of Families and Children, CS dept), but I know the mother will insist on getting the money for the few days in between the intercept and finalization. Just wanted to know if I should go by what the state says or if the mother can enforce those few extra days of child support? I am waiting for my lawyer to contact me in regards to all of this, but thought I'd get some info from this forum in the meantime.

Thanks.

afmom

Since the TPR/Step-Parent Adoption was finalized in April you are no longer responsible for current support as of that date. You were only responsible to pay off whatever you had accured in arrears up to that point. Therefore if the entire amount you owed was seized in the tax-intercept, then the mother is not entitled to anymore than that since you are not responsible for current support any longer. Hope this helps!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
True - however you ARE responsible for current support up until the date of adoption. So you need to find out if those 3-7 days were included in the final statement or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">