• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Java Game Copyright/Reproduction Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Conquester777

However, the other guy is in the US. I don't know which state... but just asume any. Or California if you want. Asume we both are if you want.

Summary:
He has created a java (.class) web game. (http://www.slimezone.com/game.php?id=footballslime)
He say's it is copyrighted, and I belive he will/has paid for those rights?
He say's he will take action if I put it on my website.

Question:
If I put that game on to my website, (and give him and his site credit) is that illegal?

And if so, what can he do about it?

-Thanks, Conquester777
(Alex, I won't give up just like that! :p)

Extra:
In the gaming industry, and especially online, most creators want their games to be re-distributed. He doesn't because he's also promoting his website. I've never ever heard of a game where it's use is limited to a certain play or under certain conditions other than it cannot be edited, and credit must be given. Can he do this??

URGENT, please help!, I'm looking for proffesional (and free :p) legal advise ;D.

Last edited:

K

krispenstpeter

If I put that game on to my website, (and give him and his site credit) is that illegal?
No

And if so, what can he do about it?
sue you in HIS state, win by default and take everything you own.

In the gaming industry, and especially online, most creators want their games to be re-distributed. He doesn't because he's also promoting his website. I've never ever heard of a game where it's use is limited to a certain play or under certain conditions other than it cannot be edited, and credit must be given. Can he do this??
DAmn right he can.

And you're lucky it's just a game. If you stole any of my code or my company applications, you would be paying me every penny you earn for the rest of your life.

C

Conquester777

krispenstpeter said:
No

sue you in HIS state, win by default and take everything you own.

DAmn right he can.

And you're lucky it's just a game. If you stole any of my code or my company applications, you would be paying me every penny you earn for the rest of your life.
Lucky it's a game?

I wouldn't steal something that a) produces profits for someone directly or b) is sold to others.

No doubt your applications are like that?

also, this is not a code that's being stolen.

and thirdly, you apparently anwered my first question wrong.

He couldn't sue me for anything, because I'm gaining nothing from taking that, I don't even have ad's on my website.

The most he could do is get my servers to shut me down, he doesn't even know who I am or where I live.

However: I would like a second opinion as well please.

K

krispenstpeter

O.K. here's your second opinion.

You're an idiot. Do you honestly think anyone besides me is going to give you the time of day here? This is U.S. Law and you are in Canada.

Be it as it may, I gave you a valid U.S. legal opinion based not only on U.S. law but International copyright law. It makes not one damn bit of difference if you profit from the game or not. You do not own the game and you have been expressly told NOT to use the product of someone else's work.

That, my northern idiot, is copyright infringement.

C

Conquester777

krispenstpeter said:
O.K. here's your second opinion.

You're an idiot. Do you honestly think anyone besides me is going to give you the time of day here? This is U.S. Law and you are in Canada.

Be it as it may, I gave you a valid U.S. legal opinion based not only on U.S. law but International copyright law. It makes not one damn bit of difference if you profit from the game or not. You do not own the game and you have been expressly told NOT to use the product of someone else's work.

That, my northern idiot, is copyright infringement.
You're not a very nice person you know that.

I'm just a kid, give me a break.

You think I know things like this?

Why don't you go call other little kid's idiots, I want a second opinion, even if I get the same response.

C

Conquester777

It'd be no different than say stealing a book from a store, and letting anybody read it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">