• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NRhoads

My husband and I were recently granted FULL guardianship of our niece's two children (ages 2 1/2 and 1). When we tell people this, everyone is very impressed by "Full Guardianship" as opposed to Temporary. Can anyone tell me what the difference is? I've been referred to the Law Library but have no idea how to find anything there! We live in Michigan.
Thanks

U

usdeeper

It means, that YOU and only you currently have a say in what happens to the children. How they are brought up, which school etc etc.. It also means that only a court can tell you different

However, it does not mean you are going to get to keep them. That depends on the court and the bio parents. No idea why they do not have the children, but if in the future they sort themselves out, the can petition the cost to have the order removed and to take custody of the children back...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">